Four Former Players Retire As Steelers Before Night Practice

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by SRW, Aug 3, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin Staff Member

Joey Porter, Willie Parker, and Aaron and Marvel Smith -- standout players from the past decade for the Steelers -- were honored Friday night in a ceremony before the team's annual night practice at Latrobe Memorial Stadium where they "retired" as Steelers. "This is home. Even when I left -- it was OK to go and play for Miami and Arizona ... but there's nothing like home," Porter said. "Pittsburgh -- once you come through here -- it's a special piece in your heart here, in Pittsburgh. That void wouldn't have been filled if I didn't come back and retire as a Steeler." An undrafted free agent in '04, Parker famously turned heads with his impressive speed in training camp and went on to become the team's third all-time leading rusher in his six-year career. "It's finishing off where I started at," Parker said. "The six years of my life were the best years I ever had. Meeting some of the greatest people and greatest athletes ... being a part of the Pittsburgh Steelers is something no one can ever take away from me."

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
  2. 86WARD

86WARD NFL's Dirtiest Player Staff Member

Porter and Aaron Smith were two of my favorites. Glad to see them come back home with Marvel and Willie.

[​IMG]
  3. This is very cool!
  4. SRW

Nice move to do this on a great night for fans. Seems like this 'Friday Night Lights' open practice might be the next big thing around the league. Something like this adds to a great fan experience overall.
  5. 86WARD

I didn't get to attend, but I heard it was a real fun event and good time! Players were very open to some fan interaction as well...
  6. SRW

That's cool. It could become the NFL's "Midnight Madness". They could cover it on NFLN as well.
  7. 86WARD

Redzone it!! I think GIF should patent the "idea."
  8. SRW

If it was up to GIF, you'd have 24/7 coverage and live free HQ streams of all games for free. NFL will eventually get it.
  9. Huxley

Huxley ...

Pretty cool.
  10. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

i approve.