Giants Can Regroup And Still Take This Division

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by Chubz, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Chubz

Chubz 1st Stringer

It's been an awful stretch the past 4 games. The injuries on defense finally caught up to the Giants. Eli and the Giants offense have sputtered over the same stretch. But this week is where it all could end. The Giants will finally have Canty, Boley and Aaron Ross playing somewhat of a full game. This should help the the Giants get back some of their missing passrush, especially with Canty expected to play a full game. But it's not really the passrush that has hurt the Giants defense, it's the fact that outside of Corey Webster, the Giants have no secondary. Ross coming back will help, he's not a shutdown corner but what he does really good is play the ball. He has the speed to keep up with anyone. What the Giants should do is move Terrel Thomas to the Safety position. Even out of position, Thomas is a better choice than either CC Brown or Aaron Rouse.

We are starting to see a lot more of Clint Sintim at LB too. Along with Michael Boley, they can cover good ground. Sintim if used correctly is an excellent pass rusher.

Im still inclined to think Bill Sheridan is about 80% of the Giants defensive woes. It's obvious that the players and him are not ont eh same page. Whatever happened to the exotic Blitz schemes that he promised he would keep in place. Spags had a worse or just as bad secondary to work with over the past few years and that didnt stop the blitzing.

On the Offensive side of the ball, it's looking like the last game things started coming togeather. Eli threw the ball mistake free and Jacobs was getting nice runs...........................................but why did they stop going to Jacobs and most importantly in the first quarter they have a 4th and 2 and elect to go for a FG. Now I understand the logic that hey you get the points on the board first but you have a struggling team inside the red zone, so why not just go for it. Now it turns out the FG was botched, would it have mattered anyway?

The Giants have really lost their identity on offense. They are getting pass happy and to the point where Eli just forces teh ball into coverage. They need to keep feeding Jacobs and Bradshaw the ball. jacobs was finally running his normal way, not stutter stepping or cutting back, he was running down hill and it was working. I dont understand why Gilbride went away from that.

This week against the Falcons, the Giants just need to pound the ball and play Giants football. Atlanta's run defense is craptastic and the Giants need to take advantage of that. Atlanta's pass protection is dismal as well and this where the giants defense just has to be aggresive.

I think the Giants can right the ship with a win this week. This bye week went the Giants way, the rest of the NFC just let the Giants back in this.

1 person likes this.
  2. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

Well said. I agree completely.

The Giants can make a run at this thing. They are finally healing (only Bradshaw didn't practice Monday). We're as healthy as we've been all year (minus Phillips), while our playoff rivals are losing key players (Columbo, Westbrook, Turner). The division is still wide open and I still feel like it's ours to lose. Even if we did we are on a good track to a wild card spot.

It all starts with a win over Atlanta.

3. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Canty.........pass rush????? rofl

4. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

Right, cause Canty won't help us get more push up the middle... that, we've been lacking. That results in pressures (what we've had a lot of) instead of sacks. Doesn't matter what you do off the edge if the QB can just step up in a comfortable pocket.

Same goes for Boley and Ross... it changes the whole dynamic of what the front 7 can do.

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Problem is Canty has NEVER played in the middle anywhere. He has been a 3-4 DE ever since college and doesnt have the build or strength to play in the middle in a 3-4. At 6'7, 300 LBS, he is going to get engulfed by the 330-360 OG's in the East.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

i hate to admit it but i actually see the this happening. i do have to agree though that i dont think canty is the answer in the middle. also, correct me if i'm wrong but don't the giants go with a 4-3 defense ?

7. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

They definitly can there lucky the eagles and cowboys dident take advantage of there 4 straight losses. The division is still a toss up dallas is 1 game up but they still have the saints on there schedule the butt rapists of the nfc east.

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

both teams did take advantage of the four loses, how else would we be ahead of them right now ?

9. ball in the baskett

By not taking a bigger lead losing to the chargers and the cowboys losing to the packers.

10. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, sure they CAN but it's going to take a lot of fixing on both sides of the ball to turn their season around.

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

that has nothing to do with the time during the giants four loses though, they had a bye last week. plus WE were one of their loses.

the giants will win the division as they along with the cowboys and eagles have talent, the difference is they have better coaching.

12. CaptainStubing

eh, i appreciate your non-homerism but the giants coaching hasn't been real hot this year. teams are figuring out how to neutralize the giants power, which is o-line and d-line and the giants have failed to adjust.

IF the giants get their crap together, yes, this division could probably be won with just 10 or 11 wins. the cowboys could implode at any moment. and as far as your team, the eagles could catch fire at any moment and win this thing too.

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

capt - i wasn't so much claiming the giants coaching is great, just than ours and the cowboys and IMO that doesnt take much. any of the three could pull it together and win the division but i just think the giants hold the slight edge.

i think we can all agree that the redskins, as usual, have zero chance.

14. The Manster

The Manster 1st Stringer

If it turns out that you jinxed us with that and the Skins do win the division I will tell everyone that BitB is your love child with Mike Oxlong.

15. CaptainStubing

hahaha. actually, their offense looked pretty damn good last week against what was supposedly a good broncos defense. we know they have a good defense and if their offense plays like that every week, they COULD run the table ............... wouldn't that be hilarious?

oh, maybe i'm asking the wrong guys ...................... :icon_cheesygrin:

16. The Manster

The Manster 1st Stringer

Think with your dipstick, Jimmy!

17. Rich7880

Rich7880 HOLD ME!

We miss you Kenny Phillips!

18. Chubz

Chubz 1st Stringer

The offense isnt nearly a problem as much as some think it is. It's not the player its Kevin Gilbride. Eli played a flawless game last week against the chargers. The Giants finally got Jacobs going and then decided to pass and then run when we needed to pbutt. The Giants have the talent to still win 10 games, hell they have the talent to go 5-2 or 6-1 over these next 7 games. We've seent hem do it before. It's going to be tough but they can do it. It's simple for the Giants, playoff football starts this sunday with the Falcons. If they lose, I cant see them in the playoffs.

It's like all the injuries finally caught up to them. Kenny Phillips was the biggest loss int he secondary and now everyone sees how much Aaron Ross was missed as well. Ross may not tackle the greatest but like I said, he's got the speed and has great ability to play thrown balls. Something the Giants secondary hasn't been doing. I say they move Terrel Thomas over to the Safety Position.

19. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

They can regroup and take the division, yes. It will be tough, not that Philly or Dallas, or Washington is so much better then the other, we're all pretty solid footballs teams, just the injury bug is now hitting Philly, and Dallas, and Washington to where Dallas has been healthy all season, the Giants been banged up all season.. just the stretch is so tough for each team.. we all still play each other once for sure. Dallas and Skins 4 division games left, 2 against each other.. Giants got Dallas, Philly, Skins, and same with Philly.. but Giants tbh have no really weak opponents left at the moment.

Atlanta
    Denver
    Dallas
    Philly
    Washington
    Carolina
    Minnesota.

Thats about as tough as it gets.. Dallas has 1 sorta weak game left, not over-looking cuz they beat Philly.. We got

Skins
    Raiders
    Giants
    Chargers
    Saints
    Skins
    Eagles.

Thats about again, as tough as it gets.. and Philly still a beastly ol schedule left..

Chicago
    Skins
    Falcons
    Giants
    49ers
    Broncos
    Dallas.

Skins.. sure you could count them out, they need a lot more help, but can easily come back and get into the mix of things.. its just how this division works.

20. ball in the baskett

I think our schedule looks the weakest from those right now but i dont think it matters our injurys are to much to overcome.