Giants Owner John Mara Not Excused From Jury Duty Despite Plea

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by BigBlueBruiser, Apr 6, 2011.

1. The confrontation occurred in U.S. District Court in Manhattan between John Mara and Judge Jed S. Rakoff after Mara was called to become the final alternate on a jury expected to hear a major international drug case for the next three weeks. Mara has served as a juror at least once before on a panel that reached a verdict in a criminal case. "Tell us about yourself," the judge instructed. "I am the president, CEO of the New York Giants, for the ball team, and have been so employed for the last 21 years," answered the 56-year-old Mara, a Harrison, N.Y., resident. The Giants owner did not know it but he already had lost ground in his quest to avoid sitting on the jury because the judge knew Mara had a law degree from Fordham University. "That's correct, your honor, the law school," Mara said. Shortly afterward, Mara asked to approach the bench and the judge agreed. "My only issue, your honor, is the third week in here because we're approaching the NFL draft. It is a big, big period for us, and I need to be at my place of employment during that period," Mara said. "That's my only issue. If it was just two weeks, I would be OK, but the third week is problematic for me."

Source: Associated Press

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
  2. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Think the judge is a pissed off season ticket holder? ;)

3. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

For the Jets

4. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

:laughy32: @ Mara

5. Starkiller501

Starkiller501 Starter

That was a lame confrontation. Now if Mara had socked the judge in the face, THAT would have been a confrontation

6. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

"My only issue, your honor, is the third week in here because we're approaching the NFL draft. It is a big, big period for us, and I need to be at my place of employment during that period," Mara said. "That's my only issue. If it was just two weeks, I would be OK, but the third week is problematic for me."

No wonder he's not a practicing attorney. Presenting defenses like this he'd starve to death.