Jaguars CB Rashean Mathis To Begin Season In Nickel Packages

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Jaguars' started by SRW, Aug 28, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

As the Jacksonville Jaguars head into their fourth and final preseason, the team will be getting back some of their players who have been dealing with injuries and will continue to work in guys like cornerback Rashean Mathis, who got some work on Thursday night against the Baltimore Ravens. Mathis isn't totally back from his ACL injury however and will likely begin the season playing in the team's nickel packages.

"I would say that right now, because I think we’re still working on Rashean to get back to the level of play. He’d tell you the same thing," Jaguars head coach Mike Mularkey said about Mathis starting Week 1. "He’s probably not a hundred percent yet but he’s working his way back to it. I think he can play. I am not sure he can play at the level he’s capable of playing right now."

For Week 1, the Jaguars look to go with Derek Cox (if healthy) and Aaron Ross as their starting cornerbacks while Mathis continues to come back from his injury. Mathis looked OK in his ability to cut and run against the Ravens, but he may not be to the point of trusting his knee yet, which is a big speed bump on the road to coming back 100 percent.

Source: SBNation.com