Jay Cutler, Alex Smith - Who Is Better?!?

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by misfitz, Sep 14, 2012.

1. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

There is ZERO proof that Cutler makes his team better than if he had a better back-up QB. Cutler makes his team better because his back-ups are dog crap.

2. DawkinsINT

For the record, I don't know who the better QB of the two is. A lot would depend on your system and personnel around them. I do hope it's Smith though since there is a much greater chance that he could possibly be the Eagles starter next season haha.

3. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

He won't lose games like Vick.

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

Smith. Steelers back up.

5. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

So Joe Montana wasnt a good QB because Steve Young took over and played well and took his job?

6. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

There you go comparing apples to oranges. Montana was how old when Young took over?

7. misfitz

The last full year Montana played he was 14-1 and had 3944 yards passing he wasnt a slouch by any stretch of the imagination.

8. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Funny, didn't ask for those stats, my question was how old was he? Smith is in the prime of his career and was benched.

9. misfitz

Here is the comparison you asked for
    Alex Smith
    3 and 9+ yards
    16/19 185 yards averaging 9.4 yards per attempt 102.9 passer rating 1 td 1 int
    3 and 3-8 yards
    21/35 201 yards averaging 5.74 yards per attempt 90.3 passer rating 4 td 2 Int
    3 and 1-2 yards
    1/2 1 yard averaging .5 yards per attempt 56.3 passer rating

Jay Cutler
    3 and 9+ yards
    22/32 220 yards averaging 6.8 yards per attempt 75 passer rating 0 TD 1 Int
    3 and 3-8 yards
    31/53 387 yards averaging 7.3 yards per attempt 104.3 passer rating 5 TD 2 Int
    3 and 1-2 yards
    6/9 62 yards averaging 6.8 yards per attempt 46.8 passer rating 0 TD 1 Int

As you can tell Jay Cutler clearly blows Alex Smith away when it comes to 3rd down oh wait no it doesnt it shows that Alex is better at 3rd and 9+ and Cutler is better in the 3rd and 3-8 yards but Smith in that range is still pretty good.

So are these stats also being blown out of proportion? Everything you argue about Cutler being better then Alex at the stats dont support.

QBR, passer rating, completion percentage, int percentage, YPA on passes over 20 yards in the air, same amount of tds in less games, 5 games with over 100 passer rating(cutler has 2) and 2 games over 90 QBR(Cutlers highest is 81)

The only thing I have seen Cutler have better stats in is 8 more yards per game and on 3rd and 3-8 and those both arn't much better then Smith.

If I showed you Smith and Cutlers stat lines without their names on it just about everyone would say Smith's stat line is better then Cutler's.

10. misfitz

Andrew Luck is having pretty good stats in the same system as Peyton Manning(Having a very similar rookie year to the rookie year of Peyton Manning)
    Matt Cassell Looked very good when he played in place of an injured Tom Brady
    Matt Flynn threw 5 tds when he played for an injured Aaron Rodgers.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  11. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

I love that I threw a grenade in this thread, left, and came back to all of this discussion.

12. WC Jerome

WC Jerome The poster formerly known as 'MK'!!

I would love to see how long Smith or Kaepernick would last behind the Bears O-line. :eek:a02:

13. bossco

bossco Rookie

About the same as cutler. That line is garbage

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

14. WC Jerome

That's all that needs to be said. We've seen how great Cutler can be when he actually has time to throw.

15. DawkinsINT

::record scratches. music stops. people stop dancing::

"Someone just used the words great and Cutler in the same sentence without 'isn't'."

::group laughter ensues. music kicks back on. people go back to dancing::

He's never even sniffed having a single season where his rating was top 10 in the league. A few good games does not make you great. Let me guess...you are going to say he's never had a decent O-Line. :rolleyes:

16. WC Jerome

Not since he's been in Chicago. I really don't know what his O-line was like in Denver.

17. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Easy there, WC

This thread is only for the 'Hate Cutler'/'Hate Smith' crowd that just use raw QB stats to make their points.

:icon_smile:

18. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Luck isn't your average rookie and is silly because he is making the colts better because it isn't the same system they used with him there, and how did the colts finish without Manning?

Cassel is one of the worst starters in the league that got benched for Brady freaking Quinn and got booed by his fans when he got hurt and Flynn lost his job to a 5'10 rookie. What did those two have in common? No team had film on them until it was too late, which is why people that are all over Kaep's nuts is silly because no teams know how to play him, YET. Be honest and ask yourself, did Cassel and Flynn really make those teams better? Flynn played in a meaningless game with his team already in the playoffs against the #30 pass defense while Cassel was average and failed to get his team to the playoffs. When Brady took over for Bledsoe he won. And for your stats, you didn't bring up the stats with the QBs under pressure.

19. WC Jerome

Please, forgive me. :laughy32: :laughy32: :laughy32:

20. DawkinsINT

Ha ha...

Smith supporters: Look at the stats!
    Cutler supporters: Cutler has always had the worst offensive line in history!