Jets Rookie QB Geno Smith Feels He Has A 'Great Shot' At Winning Starting Job

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SRW, Jul 22, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

To this point in the Jets’ QB battle, it’s been Mark Sanchez doing most of the talking. The fifth-year veteran has said he’s planning on winning the job while rookie Geno Smith has kept his rhetoric to a minimum. That tune seems to be changing a little bit.

“I feel like I have a great shot,†Smith told the Charleston (W. Va.) Gazette about winning the starting job. “I did a pretty good job overall of just adapting to the (Jets’) system and playbook and felt very comfortable with it by the end of OTAs and mandatory (minicamp).â€

Smith and Sanchez are both hoping to be under center in Week 1 against Darrelle Revis and the Tampa Bay Bucs. Their competition will make training camp in Cortland an interesting watch.

“I have a goal in mind and I’m really going to go after that,†said Smith, the Jets’ second-round pick out of West Virginia. “I want to be the best. It’s going to take time and effort and that’s what I’m willing to put in. Once I step on the field it’s about business. I’m really appreciative to have made it to this level, but there’s a lot more for me out there and I’m going to try and strive for it.â€

Source: New York Daily News