June 2011 Monthly Debate: Prosecution Of Child Soldiers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Dragonite, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

I am going to be starting a monthly debate topic in the crossfire forum. This is going to be an informal debate there is no need for use of formal debate rules just chime in with your opinions and counter arguments whenever you see fit to.

All Forum Rules Apply. DO NOT turn this into a flame war. Personal Attacks will not be tolerated. These topics may become heated, please keep it civil.

The first topic is Prosecution of Child Soldiers.
    More specifically Should countries prosecute child soldiers for the crimes they committed during wartime? Should there be an international minimum age of criminal responsibility for war crimes and crimes against humanity?

Thoughts?

2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors GIF OG

I've seen videos of little kids cutting dudes heads off while everyone cheers. Hang the little bastards like the rest of them. Not like they're going to get any better when they get older.

3. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT GIF OG

No chance or rehabbing those little murderers. Might as well do them a favor and take them out of the world. Before they decide to take their Jihad to American soil.

4. Dragonite

These children are all brainwashed by their government and their families. I disagree to an extent. I think these children deserve to be locked up they are hecked up for sure but I don't think you can truly fault a kid for doing what those he is taught to respect tell him to do. I don't think they should be killed or anything like that.

5. themush

So how would you rehab them Drag? THese kids are taught hate from birth. No turning back from that. Like a Klan member or a Nazi.

6. Dragonite

Mani of the Nazi youth were taught hate from birth as well. The current pope was a member of the Nazi youth. As I said they need to be locked away, for their safety as well as the safety of others, but I don't think they should be killed. I think many of them may not even have realized what they have done. They will be more susceptible to change, and if they don't change they don't need to die because of it. They were doing what they were told like every child does, they can not be held accountable for their acts no matter how disturbing or disgusting.

7. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

The phenomenon is at it's worst in Africa. Usually these kids are iniitiated by plying them with drugs and more times then not it's a kill or be killed scenario for them. They need to be jailed initially but in a perfect world there would be a system in place to help identify and rescue those who are more victim then warlord.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0374105235/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/187-3420764-7298202"]A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier:Amazon:Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PgzZIUNsL.@@AMEPARAM@@51PgzZIUNsL[/ame]

^A great book on the subject

8. Sweets

Sweets Rookie

Wasn't he a child solider of the Sierra Leone Armed Forces?

9. Dragonite

I believe he was Sweets.

I agree with Phigles, they need to be jailed at first, but I do think it is possible to help these kids and I do not think they should be killed off.

10. Dragonite

11. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

Bullet to the forehead. The end.

12. Dragonite

But why? There is no reason to kill them off, many of them have shown they do have remorse for their actions. Many of them can change, and it's not necessary to ever kill a child in this situation when they could be in jail just as well. It's a kid who was following orders.

Hell the Japanese military in China during WW2 admitted that the only reason they did what they did was because they were told too and the American forces who comitted war crimes in Vietnam said it was done because they were told too. If adults fear for their lives and only do what they do in a military setting because they are told to how can kids be expected to do it differently?

13. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

Many of them can change? Source please?

14. themush

They don't change. It's called brainwashing. Period.

15. Dragonite

The kids who commit these atrocities often times write books about it and tour the country talking about how wrong what they did was and how much it tortures and bothers them everyday. If this isn't considered changing I don't know what is.

Look the Nazi youth and all of the Japanese Imperial Army were brainwashed too, many of those people are upstanding citizens now who are sorry for anything they did. The Pope was a Nazi for Christ's Sake.

16. Steve12

For every one that writes a book there are probably thousands that would do all the same crap without a second thought.

17. Dragonite

I disagree I don't think children understand what they are doing. I think if you save a child from warfare it wouldn't be extremely hard to teach them what they did is wrong. Look if someone can do it, everyone can do it, and some have done it.

18. themush

Drag look at kids raised in the south, and I can talk about this because I went to school in the deep south. It's not a black man or woman theY refer to them as niggers. Nothing is going to change that. War time kids will always hold the same hatred as these kids. IT DOESN'T CHANGE.

19. Dragonite

This is completely out of context, these kids spend their lives around it so of course that is how they feel. You take the kid out of the deep south and put them in Boston they won't be calling them niggers anymore.

It's simple Psychology. You are raised by what you see and observe, if you take a kid out of that situation they act differently after a while.

20. Steve12

If one can do it everyone can? Thats a terrible argument.