Lions C Dominic Raiola Fined $10K For Punch Thrown Vs The Patriots

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions' started by DaBears22, Nov 26, 2014.

1. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

A day after Detroit Lions center Dominic Raiola said he wouldn't be fined for his actions on the final drive of his team's 34-9 loss to New England on Sunday, it turned out he actually was.

NFL spokesman Michael Signora said Wednesday that Raiola was fined $10,000 for unnecessary roughness, but not for his cut block on Patriots defensive lineman Zach Moore on the game's final play. Instead, it was for a play against Moore earlier in the drive, when Moore beat him and Raiola appeared to try to club him from behind.

The league decided that Raiola unnecessarily struck his opponent on a pass play -- violating Rule 12, Section 2, Article 12(c), which doesn't allow "striking, swinging at, or clubbing the head, neck or face of an opponent with the wrist(s), arm(s), elbow(s) or hand(s)."

The veteran center said Tuesday he had no regrets about what happened at the end of the game against New England.

"There's no fine. It was during the game," Raiola said Tuesday. "I don't know about regrets. I don't live life with regrets. I know I didn't intentionally try to hurt anybody.

ESPN