Miami Dolphins fire offensive coordinator Mike Sherman

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins' started by Sportsguy, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

The Miami Dolphins have fired offensive coordinator Mike Sherman after two seasons, the team announced Monday.

Sherman's offense struggled mightily during Miami's 8-8 season in 2013. The Dolphins were ranked 27th in total offense and 26th in scoring at 19.8 points per game.

Sherman often was criticized for a lack of balance and predictable play calling. But the final nail was when Miami scored just seven points in its final eight quarters during crucial, season-ending losses to the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets.

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross visited the team's facility Thursday searching for answers. All indications are that coach Joe Philbin is safe as long as changes are made to the coaching staff. Firing Sherman, who is a friend and mentor to Philbin, was a strong first step.

"I would like to thank Mike for his contributions to the Miami Dolphins," Philbin said in a statement. "Mike has been a mentor to me throughout my coaching career, dating back to 1979. He is a man of great integrity, dedicated to his family, his team, his players and his profession. On behalf of the entire Miami Dolphins organization, I want to wish Mike and his family the very best in the future."

Source: Continue Reading