Native American Author Blisters Roger Goodell Over Redskins Stance

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by Sweets, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Roger Goodell’s recent support of retaining the Washington Redskins’ name in response to a Congressional caucus was “offensive†and “cowardly,†wrote a Native American author earlier this week.

In a column for the Progressive Media Project and distributed by the McClatchy-Tribune News Service published Sunday, Chippewa writer Mark Anthony Rolo scolded the NFL commissioner for his reply to a letter from Congress’s Native American Caucus to stop using the slur. Goodell’s reply claimed that the name was "a unifying force that stands for strength, courage, pride and respect."
    A Redskins name change was opposed by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in a recent letter to Congress. (AP Photo)

MORE: Owner says team will never change its name

“Goodell's offensive reply is not only cowardly, but it is also an antiquated defense reminiscent of those who refused to recognize other pop culture stereotypes such as Little Black Sambo and Frito Bandito," Rolo wrote.

“Concern over losing fan devotion to the Redskin name and image, and profitable merchandise, television and ad revenue should not be factors in the decision whether or not to rename the NFL team," he added.

Rolo, who writes on native issues for The Progressive magazine and published a critically praised memoir in 2012, also pointed out in the column that while the NFL has continued to fight for the right to keep using the name, the NCAA has banned the use of Native American mascots, and numerous high schools and college changed their names and mascots. Also, he wrote, the NBA’s Washington Bullets switched to “Wizards.â€

“Fan devotion and profits were not lost due to the name change," he pointed out.

" 'Redskins' is a patently offensive name for Native Americans," he wrote. "That patent has expired."

Source: Sporting News

2. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

As someone who's 1/32 Chickasaw, I'm not offended. So f off, god **mn hippy liberal douchebag.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

So these groups are going after the Redskins. Does anyone know if they are maybe going after other "companies?" I don't know...maybe this one:

[​IMG]

And while they are at it, they should attack this one too:

[​IMG]

4. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

i'm thinking of suing nabisco for making saltine crackers white.

5. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

@86 Ward, that Redman is some good sh!t.

My response to Mr Rolo,"F*ck off."