New York Giants Co-Owner Ann Mara Dies At 85

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by ICECOLD, Feb 1, 2015.

1. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Ann Mara, the co-owner of the New York Giants after her husband Wellington died, the mother of team president John and 10 other children, died early Sunday morning.

The team's matriarch, 85, had been hospitalized after slipping on ice at her New York home and hitting her head two weeks ago. She typically stayed out of the spotlight, but her most public moment -- aside from hoisting two Lombardi Trophies in recent years -- was when, in the moments after the Giants won the NFC Championship Game in 2012, she chastised Fox's Terry Bradshaw on live television for picking against the Giants. John could be heard in the background trying to stop his mother, ultimately realizing it was fruitless.

Ann Mara married Wellington, one of the most important figures in NFL history, in 1954, but always noted that she was a Giants fan even before that.

In reviewing the 2014 team's struggles, John referenced his mother's passion for the team.

"She is not very happy with me right now, believe me," he'd said. "She suffers through this probably even more so than I do."

"Mrs. Mara was a tower of strength, dignity and inspiration for her family and all of us in the NFL," Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "Her family and the Giants organization have always reflected Mrs. Mara's competitive spirit, integrity, and wonderful sense of humor. Our thoughts and prayers are with John Mara and the entire Mara family."

In a statement released by the team early Sunday morning, John said that all 11 of her children, their spouses and her numerous grandchildren were with his mother when she passed away.

"She has been the leader of our family in every way, and we will miss her dearly," John Mara said in a statement.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000466774/article/new-york-giants-coowner-ann-mara-dies-at-85