NFL Combine: Risers And Sinkers

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by adammwilson, Mar 1, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

The Combine is now over and as always there were some risers and some fallers. I have narrowed it down to seven in each category.

[​IMG]

Risers:

OT Tyron Smith (USC)

Smith wasn't able to do some drills but he did weigh in at 307 pounds. This was important as some had dogged him about his weight being in the 280's previously. He is an athletic player who has a chance to be the first OT off the board.

QB Jake Locker (Washington)

Locker is a guy with all the potential in the world. The question is can it be developed? He had a great combine and showed off fantastic athleticism and more importantly threw the ball very well.

QB Christian Ponder (FSU)

Ponder also showed off great athleticism and threw the ball very well. His biggest question mark is his health but when healthy is an excellent player. He arguably threw the best of any of the QB's in Indy.

WR Julio Jones ('Bama)

Jones was already seen as a top 15 pick but after running an excellent 40 has raised his stock to a likely top 10 pick. He does need foot surgery but that should be no great issue as he was comfortable enough to run with the injury.

LB Martez Wilson (Illinois)

While it is not clear whether Wilson will play MLB or OLB what is clear is he has rare speed for such a big dude. He had a great 40 time and performed well in all drills. He will undoubtedly be the first 4-3 LB off the board.

CB Ras- I Dowling (Virginia)

As a Junior Dowling was seen as a great player and a likely 1st rounder. However, after an injury plagued senior year his stock drastically suffered a questions about his speed were brought in. Dowling silenced all critics by running a great 40.

CB Brandon Harris (Miami U.)

Harris had a rough go of it early after only measuring in at about 5'9. However, he was fantastic in all drills and had a great 40. It will be interesting to see if he goes in the first round.

[​IMG]

Sinkers:

QB Cam Newton (Auburn)

Newton did not look good in throwing drills and looked confused all day. Rumors about him not interviewing well may be misinformation or they may be true. Either way it isn't good for Cam.

WR Vincent Brown (San Diego St.)

A great possession WR Brown timed incredibly slow in the 40.

WR Greg Little (UNC)

Little, suspended for all of last year, apparently interviewed very very poorly at the combine.

TE Weslye Saunders (SC)

Suspended for all of last season he needed a big combine. Instead, he had a broken bone in his foot but tried to run anyway. It was an awkward situation and Saunders is clearly an odd guy. He was thrown out of SC for being lazy, being investigated by the NCAA, and for his part in the hotel scandal.

LB Akeem Ayers (UCLA)

Ayers was rated as the top 4-3 LB coming in. However, he ran a very slow 40 and his stock is dropping.

LB Jeremy Beal (Oklahoma)

His stock has been dropping for awhile. He didn't have a good senior bowl and now he has had a bad combine.

S Will Hill (Florida)

Hill is an interesting prospect. He had a disappointing year at Florida last year and his tweets likely didn't endure him to NFL personnel but he has some talent. However, he didn't look good in drills.

2. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Nice post. I like what you said on Cam Newton as well, considering the press (ESPN) are kissing his butt like he did no wrong and even Clayton making a case for him to be Number 1 overall, it's nice to see that someone isn't swayed by that bullcrap. What makes it worse for me is that the other elite QB's showed as much athleticism as him, which is his selling point (Along with his "potential") and If I was selecting in the top 16, I would have a seriously hard time justifying picking this guy.

It reminds me of 2006/2010 all over again with ESPN shoving Vince Young & Tebow down our throats, and considering one is soon to be a free agent and the other one is at risk of losing his starting gig, they don't have a great track record.

3. Thanks. :icon_smile:

I thought he had a pretty miserable combine other than how well he dealt with the press.

Agreed. I don't think I'd pick him. I'd wait and get a Locker or Ponder.

4. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

I still think he is a mortal lock to go to Buffalo at #3. Too much the type of QB Gaily wants

5. yeah I hear ya. It just seems like Gailey loves Fitzpatrick though.

6. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

As much as i love dowling and im glad he ran good at the combine like i knew he would he also pulled his hamstring yet again so i think that he actually hurt his stock at the combine because of yet another injury i still think he will be a great CB though if he is ever healthy

7. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

I don't bash QB's anymore, remember how we were allll bashing Sam Bradford to no end, then he comes in and does the unthinkable after losing all of his good recievers. I think Cam Newton handled the press very poorly, he's just really immature he is a great athlete, I don't know how well he will do in the NFL but I could see him being very good in the NFL possibly.

8. I wasn't

9. SeanTaylor21

Minus you? Were you here at that time I'm sorry if you were I have bad memory.

10. naaa I didn't post here then.

11. mhhh interesting point.

12. SeanTaylor21

Well all I remember is everyone saying oooh Sam Bradford is a bust, Sam Bradford sucks his shoulder is too much of a concern, which is very sensible but you really can't tell anymore. On a different note I love what Julio Jones did with his combine, not just a workout warrior either he is absolutely amazing I know everyone else stilll has him as the number 2 reciever but I think he is the number 1 now.

13. I never got that whole Bradford is a bust argument.

His shoulder injury never bothered me. Brees was worse and look how he came back. Also, James Andrews seemed to think it was fine.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

I don't recall the Bradford bust thing either. I remember there being more of a debate whether or not he should've been the number one overall pick, but I don't remember anyone saying he was going to be a bust.

15. I remember alot of people saying he would be a bust. It's pretty funny to think back on actually.

16. Jihad Joe

I thought he was going to be a bust. Didnt think he had the arm strength, and didnt think he'd making coming from a spread offense

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

There's still time...lol...

18. that's what alot of people said. However, what they missed was that Oklahoma ran plenty out of center. Also, in '08 arguably Bradford's best year they ran quite a bit of a pro style like offense. Their offense was choked full of a pro style influence.

19. Jihad Joe

Thats something I didnt consider at the time.

I dont watch much Big 12 ball, as I think its for homosexuals

20. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

LOL look at bradfords year when thowing more than 10 yards....he'll fall on his face in this new offensive scheme if its gonna be like they say it is