NFL Midseason Awards: MVP

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by ravenfan52, Oct 29, 2008.

?

Who has been the NFL's Most Valuable Player through 8 weeks?

1. Drew Brees

33.3%
  2. Kurt Warner

16.7%
  3. Philip Rivers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jay Cutler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Brett Favre

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Clinton Portis

50.0%
  7. Adrian Peterson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Michael Turner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Andre Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Wasn't Betts a beast without Portis a couple years ago lol.

And FYI, if the Eagles didn't have Westy they would be competing for a top ten pick.

2. Ridin Burgundy

Ridin Burgundy on the Magic Bandwagon

Wow, I thought you were smarter that that:icon_eek:. You must be saying that having watched very little of the Redskins this year.

Yes. The last time he started he averaged 4.7 ypc.

3. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

Let me try to put this in better, simpler words.

MVP is an award. Offensive players win it but it is not officially call MVOP. DPOY is the award for the best defensive player of the year, so MVP must be offensive. Rookie of the Year, the award that AP won last year, is the award for the best offensive rookie of the year. Officially it's not called OROY, just ROY. Then there's DROY, the best defensive rookie of the year. This is for defensive players, so ROY must be for offensive players. Follow? Please show me where I said that defensive player of the year does not exist.

4. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

Don't give me bullcrap about a defensive player can't win it then. The real LT won an MVP....Alan Page qwon one as a DT back in the 70's. Reggie White and Derrick Thomas both deserved to win MVP's.

The facts show that you have to be on a good team to be an MVP....you can't convince me that Favre, Rivers and Warner should even be in this discussion.....it's a joke, which is not suprising considering the source.

5. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Yes w/o Westy we would be competing for a top ten pick.... we agree on somthing.
    I have watched EVERY Redskin game.... I live in DC and often don't have a choice.
    As for what Betts did last time he started......... wasn't that 2006? Hmmmm remind me again please, who was the league MVP that year again?????

Point being I don't care WHAT someone did in 2006 in 2008... I watch the games and call em like I see em

6. ravenfan52

debate in this thread about who the MVP has been so far, not who should or shouldn't be on the list. the only thing that matters is who is #1.

my :twocents: about this stupid hypothetical argument is this: Westbrook obviously is the Eagles' best player. Portis is obviously the Redskins' best player. I don't believe that without them on the field their teams would be competing for a top ten spot in the draft. that's just crazy.

7. Ridin Burgundy

If you watch the games then you see Campbell is playing damn well and although obviously he would make more mistakes if hes throwing the ball more he would also be making more big plays and the team would make adjustments without Portis.

The line is also making some big holes for the running game so i'm sure Betts would be able to do pretty well and with the D playing so well every game will be close.

I know the team wouldn't be doing as well without Portis but to say they would be one of the worst is just flat out wrong.

8. ravenfan52

totally true with that last sentence, rb

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Really? That's what the MVP is?

:icon_rolleyes: FAIL.

Anyway...off this list that's missing about 9 players, Drew Brees gets it hands down. Clinton Portis' O-Line would be a close second.

10. Ridin Burgundy

On a team thats 4-4 and bottom of their division though?

11. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Week in and week out I see Portis sneaking through holes that I wonder if Westie himself could sneak through... I see him getting tackled and hitting the ground 6 yards later.... none of these are things I see happening w/o him. I have seen him carry DRIVE after DRIVE on his shoulders this year and MAYBE Campbell and a lesser running game would be able to do SOME of them BUT even w/ Portis your a team that has won only one game (against the Lions) by more then a TD.
    We can agree to disagree but IMO... w/o Portis you could have EASILY lost every other game on the schedule so far

12. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Westbrook lol... A DT? lol

Cutler, and Favre obviously shouldn't be on there.

13. Ridin Burgundy

We could have easily lost every game with him. Its just the nature of the game and most are decided by less than 7 points. With him playing so great its obvious you are gonna keep feeding him the ball but there are others on the team that can be difference makers if needed and the team would still be winning games much like although the Eagles are a lesser team without Westbrook they can still win.

14. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Word, we can at least agree on the any given sunday principle

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Agree.

16. dolphindude13

Duhhh....that's the point I've been making if you didn't blindly read only what you wanted to read. There is NO ONE worthy of the MVP on that list imo.:icon_rolleyes:

17. ravenfan52

really so who is whom i have left out?

18. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Drew Brees should be the winner, if the Saints pick up the pace, IMO.

19. Ridin Burgundy

If yes, currently no.

20. dolphindude13

I'd have a better prepared list, you obviously picked out some of your favorite players and put no thought at all into it.......I've already said a few players that I would have switched out...