NFL Reportedly 'Disturbed' By Bears SS Brandon Meriweather's Violent Play

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by SRW, Oct 14, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Brandon Meriweather might have to answer for his violent play with something more than a fine soon. Peter King of Sports Illustrated reported Friday night on “NBC Sports Talkâ€￾ on Versus that NFL vice president Ray Anderson, who is in charge of discipline, is “disturbedâ€￾ with the way the Chicago Bears safety has played this season. Meriweather was fined $25,000 for an unnecessary roughness hit this week in the loss to the Detroit Lions. He was fined $20,000 last week for a shot to the helmet of Carolina Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith. Meriweather got on the NFL’s radar with illegal hits last season that led to $50,000 in fines in one game against the Baltimore Ravens when he was a member of the New England Patriots.

Source: Chicago Tribune

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2011
  2. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

Don't know if it is aggressive play or just dirty play. Like the hits but is costing the team he plays for yardage.

3. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

It will be a matter of time before Meriweather makes a trip to Principal Goodell's office.

4. DaBearsrule4ever

All Meriweather has to do is stay disciplined, thats all. As a Bears fan, is that too much to ask for from him?

5. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Kitty league.

6. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

National Fairy League. I understand dirty hits being frowned upon, but playing violently, disturbing the NFL????? This is a freaking violent game, you know what you signed up for when you sign that contract.

7. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Gotta do something to make up for sucking

8. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

If it was 50 years ago hed be an all pro...

9. Buck Fenson

Hell, it would be legal 30 years ago. That was the normal way to play in the 80's and 90's

10. falloutboy14

falloutboy14 Rookie

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2iGzAJIHX8]Cheap hit by Meriweather on Heap - YouTube[/ame]

Remember Bellichick benched him after that play.

11. Buck Fenson

that was one from earlier right? But seriously, all the older folks here knows that back in the 80's and 90's there were some freaking awesome defenses. Rules weren't as bad then. Love going back and watching the Dome Patrol videos on youtube and seeing how defense is meant to be played.

12. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Man if Ronnie Lott played today he'd be bounced out of the league in a week flat.

13. Buck Fenson

not to mention the safeties of the 80's Broncos Steve Atwater and Dennis Smith. John Lynch.

14. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

yah lets go back to the 80s and helmet to helmet contact and wonder why our players are dying before the age of 50 and the ones that dont can barely walk.

15. DaBearsrule4ever

I think the media missprinted this topic. Nothing wrong with playing the game violently but in a disciplined way with clean hits. I think the NFL is more concerned with the dirty hits and late hits Meriweather delivers. Sadly, Meriweather still doesn't get the message.

16. URL54MVP

URL54MVP Pro Bowler

My issue with Meriweather is that he is so focused on kill shots that he completely blows his assignments in the defense. He has zero discipline. And both him & Chris Harris have been benched for tonight's game. Harris is actually our best safety but I don't think he is 100% back from his injury yet so that, to me, is why he looked bad against Detroit. But Meriweather is healthy, he has no excuse other than being about as bright as a box of rocks.

17. Buck Fenson

helmet to helmet hits will happen. players weren't dirtier back then. They just played football. Back then they played defense. Rules weren't made up to totally get rid of defense. Players will be damaged with the rules now. Why not just play 7 on 7.