NFL Tweaks Catch Rule, Says Dez Bryant Still Didn't Catch Ball

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by markaz, Mar 23, 2015.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

[​IMG]
    PHOENIX -- The NFL Competition Committee tweaked the language involved in the rule regarding what is and what is not a catch but decided that Dez Bryant's now-infamous non-catch in the Cowboys-Packers playoff game is still not a catch.

The tweak the committee added was that now a receiver must "clearly establish himself as a runner" while having control and both feet in bounds

"For years the requirement for a catch is control, both feet and after that the receiver had to have the ball long enough to perform a [football] act," VP of Officiating Dean Blandino said. "It was that act common to the game, football move, that created some confusion."

So instead of needing to make a "football move" to qualify oneself as a runner in the field of play, the receiver must "clearly establish himself as a runner."

In other words, the goal is to make it a simple deduction whether or not someone has made a particular kind of move to establish themselves as having possession.

"Once you go down that path it becomes more subjective," Blandino said. "What is, what isn't a football move. We're not talking about a lot of plays over the course of the five seasons since the Calvin Johnson play. This allows us to consistently officiate the rule."

Rams coach Jeff Fisher believes the new language tweak "really clears things up" because it elements subjective interpretation.

"We spent a lot of time on it. I think it really clears things up," Fisher said. "If you're going to the ground, hang onto the ball. It's really pretty simple. To include if you become a runner, I think it really cleans things up for us. If you start talking about reaching the ball out, you invite a lot of gray area back into the interpretation."

It does that to a degree, because someone continuing to fall to the ground while making a catch who doesn't possess the ball would clearly not qualify as someone who can establish themselves.

Dez lunging for the end zone has lots of upside -- touchdowns! -- but it also has massive downside because it won't establish possession.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...h-rule-says-dez-bryant-still-didnt-catch-ball

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

What's the difference between establishing himself as a runner and a "football move"? Sounds the same to me...still a lot of "interpretation" there to leave it a "gray rule."

Omen likes this.
  3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Whatever. Dez caught it.

markaz, Omen and 86WARD like this.
  4. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

It sucks as an NFL fan who has been watching for decades that you still can't honestly know if something is a catch or not based on the wording of the rules.

5. markaz

I guess there was no way they were going to change language such that it would have made Dez's catch a catch. That would've meant the NFL was admitting a boo-boo, and they don't make boo-boos.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

Why can't they just make it as simple as the receiver has possession of he ball? Or the receiver has possession of the ball and takes two steps? For f--k sake...Dez Bryant took three steps before falling to the ground, putting a hand down and losing the ball...not to start up that debate again, but if anything that would be the ball causing a fumble in my eyes...

7. Harryaxel

Harryaxel Rookie

So touching your tip toes before falling out of bounds on a sideline catch is not longer a catch because he didn't establish himself as a runner? Or is that still okay because he maintains control?

markaz likes this.
  8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

That's a very good question.

9. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

That really clears things up. :re:

86WARD likes this.
  10. Badger

Badger Rookie

As a Packer fan, all Im going to say is, "ha ha".

11. markaz

Very good point. Can't wait for the first typpy toes inbound catch and the opposing coach throwing a red flag. I only hope that onfield arguement is mic'd.
    This isn't about the Packers. And do you really want to gloat? How about that 4th quarter against the Seahawks in the NFC chamionshp.....,"ha ha".

12. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Crickets

The rule didn't clear a thing up just muddled the waters

13. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I'm tired about hearing about it. remember all the non calls the week before against the lions? are they gonna do anything about that shirt? I'd have no problems if they went back to all the rules the league had in the 70s. it would cut down on all the whining.

14. markaz

I'll agree with that one, Diesel, except the NFL trying to clear things up is like using maple syrup to clean your windshield. Just like that one call was a pass interference, Dez did make the catch and it really ain't that difficult to see. But if it can be phucked up, Goddell & Co. are there to help.

15. DawkinsINT

Only good thing about it is that defenders are catching half a break.

16. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Markaz,the league is trying to make the game better,but they are too tight to buy better cameras that will help the instant replay process. the owners make hypocrites look like altar boys.

17. DawkinsINT

Where did you hear that they have turned down better cameras? I'm unaware of this.

18. Badger

Badger Rookie

If you dont understand why, as a Packer fan, I said, "ha ha" clearly you dont know much about football. Whats even funnier is that Ive got Cowboy fan friends who STILL try to argue that Dez caught that ball. Ha ha.
    About the NFC championship game, I didnt think it was going to be a close game and am amazed that it took the Shehawks 4 quarters to wake up. Howd the Super Bowl work out for them? Ha ha.

19. markaz

[​IMG]
    If that was intended as a shot I wanted the Patriots to win so I gotta give that one a :think:.

20. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

espn said tuesday afternoon on nfl's the insiders that king of the tight wass,john mara of the giants said they would not be buying extra cameras to help with the replay process because the cameras would be too expensive.that is why they did not change anything for the review process.