Notre Dame LB Manti Te'o Fails To Impress At 2013 NFL Combine

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by SRW, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

don't want him on our team. his decision making skills are severely lacking.

2. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

This.

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

going from discussions about being a top 5 pick to a 2nd round pick is a pretty big drop in a short time.

4. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

how fast did people expect a not very fast MLB to run? lol

Hes faster than spikes and maualuga, both of whom while are better against the run have good instincts in the pass game. Hes still a first round talent, and better than rolando mcclain was.

Im interested to see where he lands, hes a whack job but the dude can play

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

If Brandon Spikes and Sean Lee had a 3-4 ILB baby, it would be Manti Teo

Sent from my HTC Vivid

6. Buck Fenson

can't happen. that would involve two real people.

7. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Zing!

Sent from my HTC Vivid

8. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

The problem is Te'o can't shed a block and he was exposed in the NCG. Someone said it earlier he was bad against Stanford too. He needs to be on a team that would let him play more zone so he can use his instincts.

9. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

That NCG stood out like no-one had seen against the far lesser competition. [MENTION=1533]86WARD[/MENTION] hit it with the Stanford reference.

10. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i agree that we shouldn't have expected him to run very fast but one of the other 'positives' that Te'O was supposed to bring to the pro game was his alleged abilities in pass coverage, in addition to his run-stopping.

we know he can't get to the qb but his skills, according to his advocates, were going to be run-stopping and pass coverage and his lack of speed has to raise some doubts about his ability to cover anyone in the nfl game.

11. K Train

well when chance warmack is destroying the dline and coming ful speed at you theres not a MLB in college football that can handle that.....they were overwhemed in the NC, not just teo....especially the guys playing in front of him

12. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

What about the Stanford game? They don't have that great offensive line, they are a line that can run block a bit, and Te'o is not a home run with his game. He is soft so his comparisons to Spikes and Burfict is silly.

13. K Train

i said hes faster than maualuga and spikes...thats all

He can play 7 LB positions, hes better as a prospect than rolondo mcclain was. He'll be a good MLB, even if hes not the top 5 prospect everyone wanted him to be. He still had an amazing year and was a heisman finalist, that doesnt get wiped away from being catfished and running a 4.8

14. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

And it shouldn't get wiped out, what wiped it out for me is the failure to do anything against better competition. I think if he was on a team like the Ravens where they have a very good line to get a guy off him he would do better.

15. Buck Fenson

That would be interesting. Wonder if he could hang with them. Granted, the National Championship game was the first time I saw him play and was not impressed at all. To me, he seemed intimidated by everything from the enormousness of the meaning of the game and by the Tide. He shrunk. Wonder if he has the killer instinct. That has to make someone a first rounder I believe. You can take a guy that is not that fast to keep up with tight ends or backs if he has the football knowledge to be at the right place at the right time. And to me, it seems he don't. But who knows. I am just a football fan.

16. K Train

if the NC was the first time youve seen him he looked like an UDFA, but over the last 4 years hes been a great player for them and he had a great senior season, just wasnt as heroic as he probably would have hoped

17. Buck Fenson

then I must go with your assessment. shouldn't judge him by that one game but it is hard not to. It wasn't like he was putting the team on his shoulders and just came up short on plays. He was totally swallowed up. Maybe he will improve in the pros where it is a job and he has to learn how to play the position.

18. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

So there's these two all pro MLBs on the same team, one ran a 4.4 40 and went (almost) top 10, one ran a 4.7 plus and slipped to the third. Both all pros, one already an all time great and the other on the way, but the 4.7 guy is arguably better now than the 4.4 guy. So heck a 40.

19. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

And IIRC a pic was posted somewhere that showed Jerry Jones' draft board, having Bowman with a 1st round grade.

20. K Train

i think that was lee, who he said they would have taken if dez wasnt on the board