Official 2010 GIF Draft Talk Thread

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by Jihad Joe, Dec 16, 2009.

1. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Taylor Mays is a bad fit for any team that wants him at FS. He is completely over hyped and is going to dissapoint who ever picks him.

2. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

You can teach talent, but it's very tough to teach smarts.

Mays has talent but does he have what it takes to fix the holes in his game? he needs to be completely overhauled. Footwork, angles, mentality, instincts, etc etc... I think maybe some of you are writing him off a bit too soon. There are players/safeties that you can't teach speed to or no matter how much time they spend in the gym won't get his type of build or frame.

3. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Im not completely dead that Mays cant be a stud. Physical Talent wise he may be one of the more gifted players to enter the NFL in a while. Its all on him and the staff that gets him

Personally I wouldn't take the gamble unless Im picking late in the first and I have a DB coach like maybe Jerry Gray, altho Landry's regressions negate what he did with Taylor and marginal CB's. But that may be more Landry then Gray

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

In fact I dont really know if Im as sold on Gray as a DB coach as I was at the beginning of the year

If Dallas pick's May's over Nate Allen, I would be pissed

4. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Well some people argue Landry progressed as opposed to regressed. However, I'm not one of those peoples. He was god awful in pass coverage and his excessive celebrtating/hot dogging whatever you wanna call it just made him look like a clown.

I really don't have a clue where Mays will go in the first round. I think alot of NFL people are still quite high on him meanwhile alot of message boards seem to be doubtful when it comes to Mays. But like you said he'll need a good staff around him and they need to be prepared to put in work and teach him. Which if your drafting a guy in the first round is totally understandable as higher draft picks tend to be a high priority in terms of coaching within the organization.

The kid can be taught. But does he want to take his game to the next level? maybe his situation could compare to what is happening with Jamarcus Russell and his lazy approach to the game.

The fact that your so concerned about our draft at this point just kinda weirds me out to be honest.

5. Jihad Joe

Always looking to the sky Roy :)

And i was just using that as an example. I would take a less gifted athlete who is a more complete player

6. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

I know but you've been talking about who we should draft a bit over the past week or so. There are guys that I like and this and that but I'll save that talk for a later date. There is a time and place for where that discussion should be talked about. We're going to have plenty of time to talk about possible future cowboys once the season ends. But since we're on the subject of Safeties, at this point I really don't think we're interested in adding any safeties through the draft. At least not on the first day. And let me add that one safety I do sort of like is Kyle McCarthy. there... I made your night.

7. Jihad Joe

Ya......but this is the draft thread :)

Kyle McCarthy....eh. I think he is gonna be a tweener in the pro's or a Cover 2 guy

8. hermhater

hermhater Guest

You guys kinda make a cute couple.

:)

9. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

I'd compare McCarthy to Zbikowski only without being an all-american and the pre-draft hype. He's going to fly under the radar.

10. Jihad Joe

he is not as good in run support as Zib. Zib I always saw as a pure SS. Not sure how Baltimore has been playing him, but thats what i saw of him at ND

I see McCarthy as a more like Ndukwe. He's not gonna be a CF type FS or an intimidating run Safety. But he is more athletic than most SS's and will give you more in coverage (think Sensebaugh) as opposed to the run. And at FS he will be a good run defender, and while not a passing games nightmare, wont be exposed either (Weddle maybe)

11. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

mccarthy has a nose for the ball, im not sure how hes gonna measure though with speed and drills.

i also dont really like white guys playing DB

12. Jihad Joe

I can tolerate white safetys

13. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

Are there any good 3-4 pass rushing linebackers in this class? Specifically available in mid 2nd round?

14. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Sergio Kindle, Ricky Sapp, Von Miller and possibly Jerry Hughes.

15. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

Thanks mj, I'll check them out.

16. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Hughes is MY man crush, he is most likely gone in the first round, but the other guys should be available. And if the Chiefs are going to select a rush LB, I think Sapp would have the most immediate impact because he already plays with his hand off the ground. Von Miller is something good, but I'm not sure if he declared.

Oh nevermind, Miller looks like he is staying.

17. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

also O'Brien Schofield from wisconsin is a pure speed pass rusher

graham, kindle and hughes are all possible first round picks, but my boy thaddeus gibson, george selvie, schofield, and everson griffen should be there in the second, especially the early second

18. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Kindle won't drop out of the first round. He'll probably put together one of the best combines out of all the linebackers.

19. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Why do you say that? Kindle doesn't have the production that deserves a first round grade.

20. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

From what I've read basically Kindle played out of position this year at DE. I suspect both him and Hughes will be gone from what I'm reading. It looks like Sapp would be a good guy for the Chiefs to target.

Now what about 2nd round safety prospects? I think the Chiefs can look for a NT on day two. Any thoughts out of this group of guys? Chad Jones, Nate Allen, Morgan Burnett, Darrell Stuckey, and Reshad Jones. I've seen plenty of Stuckey and don't think he's a 2nd round talent myself. He's a solid tackler but struggles badly in coverage.

If the Chiefs get Okung in the first and follow up with someone like Sapp and safety in with their two picks in the second I'll start to get excited.