On this day in 2001

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by Mike S., Feb 18, 2015.

1. Mike S.

Mike S. GIF Hall Of Fame Class Of 2007 Staff Member

the world of NASCAR lost a legend
    [​IMG]

2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I still to this day haven't watched the replays of that crash. I always turn the channel or look away when they show it.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

earnhardt "was" the reason i wacthed nascar. i remember the early days when i first got into it and he was trading paint with the king, darrel waltrip & other legends with the wrangler car.

4. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

i have not watched a race for any length of time since. my former brother in law covered nascar for our local paper.when my sister passed away in 1986,earnhardt sr,darrell waltrip,jimmy hensley and a lot of the older racers all signed a special card and gave it to her and every time they saw her at the track they all made a whole lot over her regardless.that brought her a lot of joy being talked to be all these superstars and made a lot over to a 9 year old who just lost her mama.racing has been a huge joke to me since we lost earnhardt that sunday on the last lap.

5. smeags

smeags militant geek

witches like tony stewart helped turn me away. cant stand that fleshpop.

i do watch a lil still as i have tried to hook onto the martin truex jr bandwagon but he seems to be missing something to push him further up in the ranks.

that all said the only nasacr memoribelia in my house is a scale version of dale's last #3 car that has all of his titles noted.

6. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Not a huge NASCAR fan but do go to the race they have here each year because it's such a spectacle. Son-in-law gets the tickets, we drive in his RV and I sponge his eats and drinks.

NASCAR without Dale, Sr. just isn't the same and Junior can't carry his dad's jockstrap. I still can't believe he died in that crash. It looked so innocent banging into the wall.

7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

A HANS Device would have saved his life.

It is now mandatory in most of the big racing series in the world (NASCAR, Formula 1, Indy, etc)

8. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

There aren't any real pictures of him in the car after the crash are there? Can you imagine if the same crash had happened with the amount of cameras we have today?

9. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I think there was a camera in the car, but it doesn't show Earnardt. Not until afterwards when all the stats started coming in about the number of G's and different forces at the time of impact could I begin to understand what had happened. @TJ's right, had he been wearing a HANS he'd still be with us.