Packers, GM Ted Thompson Agree To Multi-Year Contract Extension

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by DaBears22, Jul 30, 2014.

1. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Without saying exactly how much longer he plans to stay on, Packers general manager Ted Thompson could say without wavering that his desire to continue has not waned.

That was moments after Thompson signed what the team termed "a multiyear contract extension" to remain in charge of the football operations on Wednesday. Thompson's most recent contract, which he signed following the team's Super Bowl XLV victory, would have expired following the 2016 NFL draft.

"The more you think about it, the more you think how nuts are you that you'd walk away from something like this," Thompson said. "It's important to me. It's not my family, but I've got a lot of really good friends here and co-workers that I enjoy coming to work with every day."

Just this spring, there were questions about whether Thompson would even finish out his current contract. At his annual pre-draft news conference in May, Thompson appeared worn out. That followed his absence from the NFL annual meetings in March because of an unspecified health issue that prevented him from traveling.

But shortly after the draft, Thompson, 61, denied that he had plans to quit anytime soon.

"I was asked that question a lot -- how long I was going to go? -- but I've felt good," Thompson said. "You always self-evaluate as you go along in life. How much longer do you want to do this? I have family back home in Texas, and I've not done a good job of this but I'm going to make a more concerted effort to go back home and see them from time to time. It won't be months at a time, but I want to go back and be more connected to my family."

Source: ESPN