Raiders Waive DeAngelo Hall

Discussion in 'Oakland Raiders' started by Darius Ali, Nov 4, 2008.

1. nastynate184

nastynate184 Fuck Michigan

i really don't freaking understand this move but hopefully it works out of the best

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Based on what?

3. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

I can't say i blame Hall for turning that down. Someone will pick him up and he knows it HAS to be a better situation than in Oakland so he has nothing to lose.

4. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

supposedly he got 24.5 million guaranteed at the beginning of the contract so I'm sure he could care less about getting cut

5. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

mostly the fact he sucks.

6. hermhater

hermhater Guest

So how much...

...would the Chiefs have to pay for him?

7. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Yes, as I heard on local Bay Area radio this morning going to work, he was cut now so the Raiders would only have to pay 8 mil of his 16 mil contract rather than be on the hook for the whole deal. Whoever, if anyone, picks him up, is on he hook for the remainder. THis is also why the Raiders cut rumors (Javon Walker) are happening now, it's a timing thing to save having to pay crap players lots of money. Unsure on details.

8. hermhater

hermhater Guest

I'm not good at math.

How much does he cost the Chiefs?

9. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

The rest of his contract unless he renegotiates. From what I can gather in the last few minutes of research, he signed a 7 year, 67-70 mil contract when traded from the Falcons, With a 7 mil signing bonus. As per most NFL contracts these days, it was heavily backloaded with most of that money coming in the last year of the contract which is likely (and more or less expected to be) voided. He was scheduled to make whatever a mil divided by 8 is (125,000 right?) per game this season, plus the 7 mil bonus. So whoever signs him is going to have to pay him for the remainder of his contract, which is this year 125,000 per game, plus some roster/injury bonus doodads I'm sure. After this year those numbers are going to go up considerably.

I've had too many Budweisers to really think this through but I think we are on the right course here.

You would have to pay him a mil for the rest of the season, and be on the hook for the rest of the contracts and clauses in it. Cut him after the season he gets paid something. Cut him in TC he gets paid more. Injury clauses, heck I dunno.

10. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Since he's not a FA, I think the Chiefs might actually go for him.

We are getting rid of Surtain after this year (he kind of sucks, and he's hurt this week).

At this point we are just looking for guys that don't get carted off the field.

(Where's that damn evil cart someone posted about earlier in the season???)

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Nobody ever made me the evil cart. :(

Look at it this way. He signed a 7 year say 70 (round number, close enough) million dollar deal, He has gotten 8 million out of the deal in half a year. You would essentially be picking up a glorified toaster for 62 million over 6.5 years. There is guaranteed money in there somwhere I think the Raiders will owe to him every year for the next 6 years, but still. We picked up Donald Strickland off the street a couple years ago when we were having evil cart issues at CB and overall he's certainly played better in that time than Hall has this year. People love to jump on the "names" just because they were drafted high or get ESPN coverage, but there's a lot of cats out there playing CFL and Arena ball that could step in an provide more value and probably at least similar levels of play.

12. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Chiefs will never sign him for that money.

13. giving away draft picks now huh Al Davis, is this they way things were done back in the 1970s?

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

If it was, it worked for him back then...