Running Game Woes?

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by Chubz, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Chubz

Chubz 1st Stringer

I dont know why some are insisting that the Giants themselves are to blame for their lack of big running games the past two weeks. It has nothing to do with play calling or offensive line play. It has everything to do with the Skins and Cowboys playing the run first. Both teams were stacking 8 sometimes bringing 9 guys in the box. I dont care if you have Walter Payton and Barry Sanders in your backfield, you are not going to run the ball for long yardage with 2-3 guys coming in unblocked.

That is why the passing game right now is excelling. Teams are playing the run, playing man defense and Eli and the recievers are making defenses pay for it. Sooner or later they are going to stop stacking the box and the running game will get back on track. Hopefully Manningham isn't a flash in the pan. He has a lot of speed and surprisingly has run crisp routes. I just question his hands. If he keeps this up it will open everything back up for the Giants.

2. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

I agree wholly, and I think Manningham will be fine. Not only that, but at least the Redskins have a naturally good run D. Can't wait to get Nicks back. If he can get something going we will have the crispest route runners in the league and will have rebuilt and dare I say upgraded the receiving corp in a single season. Eli seems to be enjoying throwing to open receivers vs. toss ups to Plax.

...but we'll see, it's only 2 games in.

On a side note Chubs... this is the second thread in as many days that you've tagged NFL that you should have tagged Giants.

3. Chubz

Chubz 1st Stringer

The giants did a good job yesterday. Granted it was against the bucs. But I'll take 200 yards on the ground all day. I am a bit concerned about Jacobs. He looks like he's lost a step somehow. He's shuffling his feet and stutter stepping when he should just be running down hill and creating holes for himself. He's running like he doesn't want to get hurt. You can argue he hasn't been the same since that game against the ravens last year when he hurt his knee.

4. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Jacobs running style has often been compared to Eddie George's high running style that lead him to wear down early

Considering that the Giants have used Jacobs wisely (just over 600 carrier rushes in 4 seasons and change) I wouldnt think that would be a factor, but you never know

5. keemNicks

keemNicks Team Veteran

run game looked great vs the bucs.

6. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

Eddie George was still durable for a long time. He had over 300 carries for like 7 years in a row or something like that.

7. Jihad Joe

IK, but the thing with George is that after about 5 years of heavy carries his average per carry never got above 3.4 again

I know you cant really compare Jacobs to George at this point, but the high running style tends to 1-wear backs down with alot of carries and 2-Exposes them to injuries that can also wear them down

8. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

I just don't think that Jacobs is as durable as george was, he actually had 8 straight years with 300 carries, something very FEW RB's do. He even had a 400 carry season. Jacobs will never match that production.

9. Jihad Joe

IK, the comparison was more style wise. George was very durable, but he ran out of gas. Jacobs I dont think has gone 16 games yet

10. Chubz

Chubz 1st Stringer

No Jacobs hasn't had a full 16 game season. Supposedly the Giants have told Jacobs that he's got to keep his feet moving and to run straight ahead. It's something they have been working on in practice. The other thing is he is lining up sometimes 7 yards in the backflied and by the time he's picking up a full speed he's only at the line of scrimmage and getting hit. He's got to stop running straight up.

Again this could all be just that teams are just stacking the box. But I just see something different with the way Jacobs is running.