Saints Coach Sean Payton Has No Interest In Talking To Gregg Williams

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by Sweets, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Sean Payton made his first public remarks since being reinstated from his season-long suspension, saying he wished he had managed his coaching staff better and that he has no desire to speak with former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, the Associated Press reports.

The New Orleans Saints coach returned to work Wednesday a day after his suspension for his role in the team's bounty program was lifted, watching Senior Bowl practice, he planned to meet later in the day with the staff to evaluate a defense that struggled.

"There's certain things that, you know, as you have a chance to look back on it that I would want to look back on differently and I would want to handle differently, with the challenges of managing a staff," Payton said.

Williams was suspended indefinitely by the NFL for masterminding the team's bounty program with the team during the 2009-11 seasons.

Payton said he met for 4½ hours with commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday and Williams' status was not discussed.

"I have no interest in talking to Gregg," he said.

Source: The Redzone

2. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

If I read that correctly Williams lied to the commish and Payton paid the price for it. Glad he is back and time to put this crap behind us and get ready for next season. Case closed.

3. Rottstein

Rottstein Rookie

If I read that correctly Williams told the truth to the commish and Payton paid the price for it. Glad he is back and time to put this crap behind us and get ready for next season. Case closed.

4. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

i don't think the commish suspended the guy based on the word of 1 guy,the nfl had warned the saints to stop the bounty bowl when they 1st found out about it,and peyton and the gm did not! the coaches were just as responsible or maybe more than the players were.

5. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I think both assumptions are basically wrong. I think Williams knew he was on the way out and he was pissed because he felt he had a huge part in the Saints winning the Super Bowl and wanted to get some revenge. Several players, both current and former, has stated repeatedly that they had the same thing going on with their team. I am not privy to what goes on in the locker room and team meetings but the coach is responsible for what goes on. One possibility is that Payton told Williams to cut it out and he took it on himself not to. But it is all in the past and time to move on. The commish got his pound of flesh and destroyed the Saints season like he set out to do. And he crippled the team for the near future with the loss of the two picks. It don't seem like much but two second rounders can be important members of the team and the potential loss can hurt for a few years. Like I said earlier Coach will take this and use it to bring this team together next season and, if we get a very good DC, go on a title run for the next few seasons. At least I hope so.