Seahawks Debated Drafting TCU QB Andy Dalton At No. 25 Overall

Discussion in 'Seattle Seahawks' started by BigBlueBruiser, May 6, 2011.

1. The Seahawks' unsettled quarterback situation made the possibility of drafting TCU's Andy Dalton with the 25th pick seem plausible. Doing so was a strong consideration, according to general manager John Schneider, but Seattle took offensive tackle James Carpenter of Alabama instead. Schneider explained the decision Wednesday on the Kevin Calabro show. "We debated with Andy Dalton, there's no question about it. But I think we all felt like we were at a point in our development where we couldn't pass on a starting tackle right now," he said. "Quite honestly, we'd like to have a guy, especially a rookie, be more of a developmental type and a guy more like Aaron Rodgers and sit for a year or two. So that was really the only point in the draft where there was a guy where we were like, 'There he is, that's a very viable option.' "Quite honestly we just had guys throughout the board that just didn't make sense as we went down comparing them to other positions." Schneider expounded on his comments about his desire for a "developmental type" quarterback. "My personal opinion is that (Dalton) could go in and play right away. It's just been my experience that true development and ideal development is for a guy to come and sit for a year or two," he said. "I think by choosing Carpenter that we were helping our team immediately, whereas with Andy we would have wanted a veteran in there with him anyway." The Seahawks passed on quarterbacks in the later rounds as well, notably T.J. Yates of North Carolina and Ricky Stanzi of Iowa. "Throughout the rest of the draft there wasn't another guy staring us right in the face where we're like, 'OK, let's go do it right now, this is our guy' in comparison to the other players at different positions that we went with," Schneider said.

Source: ESPN 710 Seattle

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
  2. I had the Seahakws taking a QB until draft day.......I switched to Marvin Austin.

I thought QB or DT would make more sense for them than James Carpenter. I didn't see him as a first rounder.....let alone the second best OT in the draft like Seattle did.

3. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Whitehurst, son! Why take a QB?!?

4. In Clipboard Jesus We Trust........lol

[​IMG]

5. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Would've made more sense than Carpenter in round one, without a doubt. I'm sure James would have been there in round two for them. that was a "WOW" pick for sure.

6. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

I am sure the lack of soul is what turned them against drafting Dalton.

7. I look at his gingerness like this.....he'll have no remorse after he beats you.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Seahawks had a deal with the Steelers to move out of the 25 spot down to 31 and then balked and selected Carpenter at the last minute.

9. The Seahawks mentioned that Pittsburgh had interest in Carpenter as well.

Don't know if that was really true or not.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

Doubt that the Steelers were looking to take him at that spot.

11. I agree.

It sounded like GM John Schneider justifying the selection.