Some Site Features Uninstalled To Saver Server Load

Discussion in 'Site News' started by SRW, May 25, 2009.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

I disabled the following modifications on the site to save on server load:

• Active Threads in Navbar
    • Blank Profile Fields: Detects if a user has not filled out a profile field (or fields) and displays a notice.
    • Continue Search: This mod continues searches even if words are too short.
    • Cyb - ChatBox
    • Limited Guest Viewing: Limit guests to view a set number of threads before being locked out.
    • Periodic Prune Pms: This mod allows forum administration to specify a period after which all pms of users will be deleted (Per Usergroup).
    • Referrer Statistics

I also will be having a cache system installed that is specific to the needs of a vBulletin forum which will help speed the server up. Hopefully this will be done by tonight.

2. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

I'll miss this one but none of the rest.

3. SRW

Actually I was coming back in to say I have re-installed that feature.

4. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Happy Memorial Day Steve and thanks for all the work on the site!

I'm not sure if anyone's gotten ahold of you to tell you that the site is running faster in any other browsers than Firefox, and I don't know if it's a caching issue, but it runs pretty much at normal speed for me in Safari.

Hope that bit of info helps in some way.

5. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

I thought you moved the site to a server that was unlimited and that would relieve stress in itself.

I thought the active threads was one of the best features and it sucks that it's gone

6. SRW

The server is completely unmanaged by the host so I am completely responsible for it's maintenance and setup. Many of the settings from the previous host were outdated and some of the modifications on the site were for older versions of vBulletin and were not updated. There has also been a learning curve on my end about how to configure the server so it runs at optimal levels. I think people should notice a change in the performance of the site's speed today after a new cache system was installed.

With that said some of the features that have been uninstalled are not gone for good but what had to be done to zero in on some issues was to "cut out the fat" and disable some of the modification that were nothing more than extras that were not critical to the site. As we go forward I will see about getting some of the features back as we tweak the server to remain at an optimal level while those modifications run.

7. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

Now that you mentioned it... it is running faster on FF. Thanks!

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's just as slow in IE...for me anyhow...

9. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Seems to be running fine in Firefox now.

All the pages are loading in under 10 seconds.

Most of them in between 5-7 seconds.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

That's very slow for me. In the past it's jumped from one page to the next in a click...

11. hermhater

hermhater Guest

I'm just saying it was taking minutes to load and now it isn't so improvements are obviously being made.

12. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Im with MO on the "Active Threads" uninstall

It makes it tough to get to the most current threads

13. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Click this in the top right of the web page.

14. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

15. lionheart?

lionheart? StafFORD=Franchise

This whole site is messed up. I logged in and siad thank you but I couldnt do anything and then it only showed one post per page? I couldnt post?

16. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

17. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

Site is slower than a 90 year old man trying to get a stiffy. Takes forever to get a reply in to a thread.

18. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Ever been through a migration before?

It's a royal freaking pain in the butt.

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

Is that what we are doing now? Migrating again?

I feel like we are a bunch of piker vagabonds...moving again. lol...

20. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

no 86 we aren't migrating yet but there is work going on behind the scenes to get the site ready for the move. There is a crapload of work, coding and decoding the site before the move that our server host has been working on pretty much continually for a couple of weeks, including us getting rid of modifications that either we don't need or because of our software update, is no longer valid, again we are sorry for the inconvenience this has cause all of our members but in the long run it will be for the better especially when football season hits.