Stanford Coach Jim Harbaugh Open To Talking With 49ers About Coaching Job?

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by BigBlueBruiser, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Although San Francisco 49ers president Jed York just started the process of interviewing general manager candidates, it’s likely he already has his man. A source told Scout.com that York will probably name Trent Baalke, the team’s vice president of player personnel, as the team’s GM, although it’s not known how soon he’ll make it official. The source, who has knowledge of the team’s interests, also said the 49ers are not interested in hiring Jon Gruden as their next coach to succeed the fired Mike Singletary, but they may have an interest in Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh. Harbaugh has not expressed a public interest in the 49ers job, but a source said he would be open to discussions if the team reaches out to him. Baalke essentially became the 49ers’ top personnel man last March after general manager Scot McCloughan sudden departure for personal reasons.

Source: Scout.com

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
  2. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I'll be watching this closely.

3. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

noooooooooooooo I want him at Michigan!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. kenman923

kenman923 Rookie

I wonder if Tennessee, Denver, or Houston may be taking a look at him.

5. nixaler

nixaler Pro Bowler

I thought they wanted someone with proven NFL experience for the coaching job as well as the GM position?? Anyways, forgive my ignorance here (I havent followed Stanford CFB), but do you all feel he would make a good NFL coach? Or will he end up as another former 80's Chicago Bears player turned NFL coaching bust??

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

harbaugh is a college coach and i'm a big believer that there are college coaches and there are pro coaches and that they are 2 very different jobs. It is very rare that someone in today's age is great at both. harbaugh's had nothing more than a cup of coffee coaching in the nfl. in my mind, this would be somewhere between a bad to mediocre hire........ at best, he may be able squeeze out a division title or 2 in the weakest division in football but he isn't going to have enormous success at the pro level if you ask me.

7. Keep watching sweets......:peace:

8. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

This!!

9. He's not going to Michigan if I'd money on it.......sounds like he wants to join his brother by returning to the NFL.

10. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Stanford is going to throw even more money at him as well as an extension and he stays. My .02.