Steelers LB Arthur Moats Catches On To New Role With Steelers

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by 86WARD, Aug 16, 2014.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Steelers linebacker Arthur Moats did not know he would go down in Brett Favre infamy that December day of his rookie season four years ago.

"I was just excited to be playing in an NFL game," Moats said Wednesday in a light summer rain at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. "I wasn't even aware of the record."

The record stood as one of the more incredible feats of longevity, productivity and good health in sports history -- Favre's 297 consecutive starts at quarterback over 19 seasons in a brutal sport that often ends careers before they begin.

Moats not only squashed that streak, he helped hasten the end of Favre's brilliant career. It happened Dec. 5, 2010 in Minnesota with Favre playing in what would be his second-to-last NFL game with the Vikings and Moats a rookie linebacker for the Buffalo Bills.

"It was a sprint-action away," Moats recalled the play that started with Favre moving to his right. "I was on the backside. He was going to his right. I was chasing him.

"I remember the coaches the whole week talking about just keep pursuing on the backside and seal it because he likes to prolong plays, that's his M.O. Sure enough, that's what he started doing, he started drifting back to the inside, and I just closed on him and made the hit."

Source: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...o-new-role-with-Steelers/stories/201408140257