Steelers Release CB Bryant McFadden, WR Arnaz Battle

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by Sweets, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced the release of cornerback Bryant McFadden and wide receiver Arnaz Battle. A second-round pick out of Florida State by the Steelers in 2005, McFadden spent four seasons in Pittsburgh before signing with the Arizona Cardinals in 2009, traded back to Pittsburgh in 2010, McFadden had 74 tackles and two interceptions as a 16-game starter that season before playing in a reserve role in 2011. McFadden was set to earn $2.5 million in base salary in 2012, which will come off the team's salary cap. Battle joined the Steelers as a free agent in 2010. In 25 games over the last two seasons, Battle has 13 special teams tackles and zero receptions. Battle was due to earn $1.0375 million in base salary next season.

Source: Author, Source

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

Steelers really being proactive against the cap, i hear rumors of alot of restructures coming....are they just prolonging a purge? restructuring deals with multiple years left on the deal can be hell on future caps. Just wondering, maybe Ward, K-train ans Crowned can shed some light.

3. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Im just waiting for the "Wee neadz to sine dis guy for Kornerback" thread on the homer board

4. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

with woodley and timmons its easy, they were signed last year, not much blow back from what they will do for them. Ward will certainly take a big cut if he wants to stay and hampton and smith are likely gone and have premium contracts and big cap hits. Guys like farrior, foote, (previously mcfadden and battle) are likely on the outs too.

ben may take a pay cut, but ben, harrison, and troy all have big cap hits....not sure they would do anything there unless they plan on extending them further

big youth movement coming up

he was amazing in 05-06 and just plateaued and regressed from injuries so hard. imo he has to play safety if he wants to resume his NFL career, hes been putrid at corner for 3 years.

5. Jihad Joe

Doesnt matter man, our goober sect wanted Matt Birk to play LT here after we cut Flo

There was litterally a Thread titled "We need to sign dis guy for O Tackle"......and it was freaking Birk

I actually walked away from my computer. Not even as figure of speech, I physically had to do it

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

Ben, Troy and James' contracts are set up so they could just be restructured to take more "bonus" money and less "salary."

If I'm not mistaken, the next couple seasons cap room for all teams (close now) will be tough and then it loosens up a bit...

7. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

i miss flo :-(

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

The picture in this story is so freaking appropriate it make me giggle...

9. Jihad Joe

From what I understand the cap is eventually going to rise to the point that it is basicly moot

10. Jihad Joe

Where did he wind up. I figured he had one really good season left if he played the right side.

However, you could see towards the end of his Cowboys career that his overall skill was rapidly deteriorating as a pass blocker. But I bet if someone ever did all time metrics for run blocking, the dude would easily rate as a top 5 all time run blocker at LT, he was that good at it

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think we are thinking the same thing, but in the short term, I think there are teams that are going to have to do some restructuring/maneuvering to get "under."