Steve Nash To Lakers In Sign And Trade Deal

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by Mike, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

In an unforeseen twist that could thrust the Los Angeles Lakers straight back into title contention, two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash has successfully negotiated a sign-and-trade deal from the Phoenix Suns to the Los Angeles Lakers that will team him up with Kobe Bryant, according to sources with knowledge of the deal.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Nash, with the New York Knicks also pressing hard to complete a simiilar sign-and-trade deal, was swayed to join the Lakers after a determined push from Bryant and because the move not only keeps him in the title hunt but will allow Nash to stay in close proximity to his three children in Phoenix.

Nash will receive a three-year deal in excess of $25 million, sources said, because the Suns ultimately agreed to sign-and-trade him to the Lakers, who can absorb Nash via the trade exception they created by dealing Lamar Odom to the Dallas Mavericks in December.

ESPN.com

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Wow...didn't see that coming...

3. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

It's time for the Suns to rebuild, they aren't close to a championship. I can't say I would like to see the Lakers win another title, but if it means seeing Steve Nash finally getting a well deserved ring then I guess i'm ok with it.

4. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Nash doesn't make the lakers a championship team. The thunder and heat would both still heck them up.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

5. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Yeah, because that was the problem with the Lakers last season...... Ok.

6. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

The face of the Suns has just been dealt to their biggest Division rival. Fantastic. As an avid Suns fan who goes to about 25 games per year, all I can say is heck their fan-owner. Since taking over the team, Robert Sarver has done absolutely nothing but dismantle a perrenial playoff team. Once one of THE destination teams for NBA players, they've become the team people now want to leave. Once Amare left without any compensation you could see this day happening.

Now the Suns have the front court of Marcin Gortat, Channing Frey and Jared Dudley striking fear into the hearts of opponents and a back court that is of yet to be determined.

Because the Lakers' first round picks will undoubtedly be toward the end of the round, unless they can package their lottery pick first rounder and the Lakers' pick to someone in the the first 3 or 4 spots to draft a true quality player, they'll be looking up for years to come.

I sincerely hope Nash gets his ring. He could have gotten here had intelligent moves been made 2-3 years ago. Being a fan is one thing, putting up with an owner who is absolutely basketball clueless is another.

7. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

this really came to a shock to me. Lets not already write off the lakers as champions already because we did that with the heat and it took them a few years to get one with there big 3

8. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

only the second year lol it dident take much at all and it doesent really make the lakers a championship team

9. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

This makes the Lakers better, but not a lock. They only become a lock if Bynum recognizes his full potential and plays like the powerhouse he should be. If that doesnt occur look for the Lakers to contend again, but fall short based upon no low post dominace.

10. markaz

You can't be serious. When you add 10.7 assists (2nd in the NBA), 53.2% field goals, 39% 3-pointers and 90% from the free throw line and add that to Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum and Paul Gasol, it sure as hell does make you a championship caliber team.

11. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

The Thunder didn't exactly CRUSH the Lakers, other than game 1. The Lakers inability to close the games led to their demise in that series. Adding Nash definitely helps, and if Bynum plays to full potential then the Lakers can be scary good.

12. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I heard this stat today. In the season just ended, the Lakers were next to last in the NBA in fast break points. Only NO was worse. I think the addition of Steve Nash will fix that problem. Also, he's probably going to be wide open on jumpers, because everyone else is going to be focused on Bynum, Bryant, and Gasol.

13. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Well Nash is the perfectionist of the pick and roll, could be a very good attack weapon with Gasol.

14. markaz

Most people associate Steve Nash with assists, and rightfully so. He may be the best ever. But when you compare his field goal percentage to some of the greatest shooters of all-time, the Lakers are getting one hell of an outside threat to score as well:

Michael Jordan 49.7% 15 seasons
    Larry Bird 49.6% 13 seasons
    Oscar Robertson 48.5% 14 seasons
    Steve Nash 49.1% after 16 seasons

Now wait for Nash to talk his good friend Grant Hill into joining him in LA. Hill is far from over-the-hill and would make the Lakers even stronger coming off the bench. Hats off to the Lakers for actually trying to win a championship instead of dismantling and trying to rebuild. Screw Robert Sarver.

15. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Nice addition.

But as Steve said... the Heat and Thunder would kill 'em.

16. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Sounds awfully familiar...

LAKERS: Lakers Sign Free Agents Gary Payton and Karl Malone

Except this time around, they have an immature, never-living-up-to-his potential cat manning the middle of the team instead of the best big man the game has ever seen.

17. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

People have been saying that for what, 6-7 years now?

18. bossco

bossco Rookie

Who knows if he will ever mature. He looked like the best big man in the game at times last year. But other times he was no were to be found.

9ers n lakers on my razr maxx(tapralk)

19. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Not to mention, Nash is 38 and has had issues with his back. Who knows how well that can hold up.

20. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

The lakers are oooooold.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket