Texans Moving LB Brian Cushing To Inside Linebacker

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SRW, Feb 18, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Under new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, the Houston Texans' shift to the 3-4 alignment from the 4-3 is going to trigger several changes in where their current personnel lines up. That includes moving Brian Cushing to strongside linebacker (Mike) and shifting middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans to weakside inside linebacker (Mo) and Connor Barwin and Jesse Nading from defensive end to outside linebacker. Linebacker coach Reggie Herring feels the change will even give Cushing opportunities in their pass rush: "We’ve got to take advantage of what we see in Brian Cushing as a tremendous anchor on the tight end side as far as securing the box physically in the run game, and then using him in our package to pressure and blitz him on the inside. At Dallas, Bradie James, same position, led the NFL in inside linebackers in sacks. He had eight in one year in this package from blitzing inside. So the numbers are there, the opportunities will be there."

Source: National Football Post

2. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

Conner Barwin played DE in the 4-3 last year, so he should be fine rushing the passer, but can he cover anyone? I don't even know who Jesse Nading is. And if the are a still thinking about putting Okoye at NT then I feel this will be a disaster. I hope they on taking a NT in the first round if there is a good one available.

3. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

How big is okoye ....you never know kook what he did with j tmratlif

4. DontKnowMe

6'2" 315lbs

5. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

Okoye will likely play 3-4 De unless Phillips thinks he can use him like he did Jay Ratliff. Cushing in a 3-4 will be a little like Patrick willis in the 3-4.

6. Okoye will be traded imho.

7. cover the spread

cover the spread beastin'

yeah, my gut says Jesse Nading won't be the week 1 starter. hello Aldon Smith

8. alot of guys to consider for the Texans but Aldon Smith would make alot of sense if available.

9. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

why? coming out of college I had him ranked as a top 3-4 DE prospect and with the way phillips uses his 3-4 Lineman it would make no sense to trade him as phillips can use him like he did ratliff or he can put him on the edge

10. he isn't strong enough at the POA to play NT and isn't tall enough to play DE.

11. DontKnowMe

I'd rather see them trade Antonio Smith. I'm tired of his bonehead moments.

12. Antonio Smith will be cut I think.

13. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I'm sure he'll have an impact but I still say moving him inside is a huge waste of his talent.

14. cover the spread

cover the spread beastin'

Cushing played the Elephant LB position at USC so they could very well use him as an edge rusher at times.