Texans Name Ryan Fitzpatrick Starting Quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBears22, Jun 17, 2014.

1. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

The competition is over. Ryan Fitzpatrick is the Texans' starting quarterback.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien announced his decision to the team Tuesday morning and then at his news conference following Houston's first day of mandatory minicamp.

As expected, wide receiver Andre Johnson did not attend Tuesday's practice. Outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney returned to Houston for his rehabilitation after having sports hernia surgery Thursday.

O'Brien said he felt it was important for the team to know who its starting quarterback was heading into the mandatory portions of its offseason.

"He earned it," O'Brien said. "He earned it with his preparation. He earned it with his accuracy."

The Texans signed Fitzpatrick in free agency shortly before trading Matt Schaub to the Oakland Raiders. Last season, Schaub lost his starting spot to Case Keenum midway through the season.

A former starter for the Buffalo Bills, the nine-year veteran started nine games last season for Tennessee after Jake Locker was injured. Fitzpatrick threw for 2,454 yards and 14 touchdowns last season.

Source: ESPN

"This is where I wanted to be," Fitzpatrick said. "I wanted another shot at it. I wanted another chance to be the guy."

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

I won't be surprised if Fitzpatrick winds up being successful. O'Brien works wonders with QBs...