The Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread (2010)

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by smeags, Feb 23, 2010.

1. smeags

smeags militant geek

and yet SI rated amaro as the 19th best baseball GM.

2. smeags

smeags militant geek

bret myers pulled his groin against the phillies today. i think on the 1st pitch.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

lmao!!!

4. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

nah, it was while covering 1st base in the 6th. I'm surprised he's getting the #3 role in Houston, that should be interesting.

Despite everything that happened when he was with us, I do like him. He is very emotional and wears his heart on his sleeve.

5. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

And smacks his wife in the face.

6. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

I'm sure the snitch had it coming

7. DawkinsINT

I disagree. I don't think he should have shaken off Ruiz on that pitch either.

8. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

No I don't think he should have shaken Ruiz off either. Whatcha going to do, you know?

9. DawkinsINT

Apparently not snitch about it or a smack is forthcoming.

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

heck meyers, he was top notch POS of a person. from the way he treated reporters in the locker room, his temmates to his domestic abuse crap.

i couldn't stand him and while he was a big part of the world series victory i truely wish he wasn't and i loved seeing him sporting a black eye last year. heck him.

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

so let's take a look at things going into the season:

starting roster - pitching

halladay - nuff said

hamels - can he get back to form ? much of this season is hinged on this. personally i think he can but i'm not 100% confindent at this point.

blanton - just tweaked his oblique. will this be a short term issue or lead to a more serious lingering problem ? i hope so because heavy b is an important part of this rotation and our depth is, well, lacking. EDIT: out 3-6 weeks which very well could turn into 6-8 and even worse. kendrick takes the roster spot.

happ - can he continue his success or will he struggle ? another question mark, seems to have that ability to not let things get to him when the road is tough, a trait i wish hamels would adopt more. just how is he going to do with the hitters knowing him that much better.

moyer/kendrick/pedro/whoever - moyer of course gets the nod to start the season in the rotation but i think we all know money has a ton to do with this decision along with kendrick's inability keep the job.

starting line-up

ss - rollins - stellar defense to be expected but will he raise his OBP to a number that is more inline with the better leadoff spot ?

3rd - polanco - would be very surprised if the defense didn't take a hit here but much of one will there be. there's not even a question that offensively we are much better at the postion.

2nd - utley. see halladay comment.

1st - howard - i think his defense will take another step up and one would that someone can work with him on the outside breaking ball. if he can cut down the strikeouts by 50 it will make a huge difference.

rf - werth - look for this guy to light it up. with another healthy year under his belt plus coming into this one looking to solidify his next contract he's going to shine. love this guy as a player and i really hope they find a way to keep him.

cf - victorino - real good defense and is better suited to be here in the line-up. should help him which helps the team.

lf - ibanez/fransico - i had my hesitations on this signing and some of those were proven correct so far. we may see more of fransico than execpted.

the bullpen is a concern but it was a big one last season as well and we managed to get back to the big dance regardless.

prediction - 96-66 division winners by 2 over the braves who get the wildcard setting up a nlcs rematch. which will win to then face the red sox in the world series and take our 3rd title, 2nd in three years.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  12. DawkinsINT

The Blanton injury really sucks. Most of the concerns with the team are minor at this point though, and I just hope they are healthy when the playoffs begin. I love this club.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

Best time to be injured...lol...

14. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

Awesome game today... my first spring training! They pulled all the regs except for Ruiz in the 4th... I liked Gload for some reason. Can't wait to see what happens this year!

15. DawkinsINT

That was a good one to be at. It was entertaining. Chase Utley's defensive awareness on the double play, J-Roll's tag up from first on the fly-out to center, Werth mashing it up...nice.

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

well. lunch will be 1-2 today. god can't wait. go phils !

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Nice!!! 1:05! Off today so I'll be watching the whole game...can't wait.

18. DawkinsINT

I'm stuck at work. I hate missing opening day.

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

Phils bats starting to heat up...

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

RYan Howard puts the Phils up 2-1 on a rocket to the second deck!