The trade deadline thread

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by LebaneseFF, Feb 19, 2014.

1. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

They got rid of dead weight players and soon to be free agents for draft picks and cash to help for the future. They got something for nothing while taking major steps towards rebuilding.

2. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

I really don't understand how you can call Evan Turner dead weight.

A) he was playing 34.9 minutes a game. (that is a starter by all means)
    B) averaging 17.4 pts a game, 6 rebounds and almost 4 assists a game!

Hawes. I understand a little more Noel coming back etc.

but Tank mode is tank mode, and the 76ers are in full tank mode swing right now. No doubt about it.

I don't blame them either, probably the best draft since LBJ, Wade et al. but I don't understand how you trade Turner a very productive number 2 Overall pick for close to nothing... mind blowing.

Don't get me wrong. I greatly appreciate a division rival tanking but WOW

3. DawkinsINT

Turner was going to be a free agent at the end of the season. He was as good as gone. They received something for him with the trade. His numbers are skewed because he plays for a bad team without other scorers. He really belongs on the bench.

The team is in tank mode as they should be to improve their future.

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

yeah losing turner is no big deal for the sixers and like dawk said they got something as opposed to letting role for nothing.

funny how the nba set up this ping pong ball deal for the draft to try and stop teams from tanking and yet the way they set up the league it's the only way to rebuild a team.

5. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

That's the best argument for letting him go...and Suns fans know from experience. Even though Amare Stoudemire has all but stolen his money in NY, the Suns refused to trade his ass when he was the hottest commodity during the 2010 FA . They thought they were a shoe-in for a resigning at a hometown discount. Amare opted out of his contract, became an unrestricted FA and the Suns got nothing. God only knows what the Suns could have gotten in return (picks). Although things have turned out for the better that Amare isn't here, at the time that decision was borderline criminal.

6. LebaneseFF

Both Turner and Granger are Free Agents at the end of the season. So it's a wash.
    The Sixers are currently discussing the buyout of GRANGER
    The Sixers in essence only got a 2nd round draft pick. And this is the Pacers picks meaning it could be the last PICK in the draft. meaning it is close to worthless.

This trade disgusts me. They could have at least gotten a 1st rounder.

It really is when there is a deep draft like this year. Bu when it's at top 1 or 2 players draft like last year then it makes sense.

Suns should have traded him way before 2010, try 2009 or 2008. His knees were already in question but still they would have gotten a lot for him.

Check Kevin Love in Minnesota if they don't trade him durign the offseason he is gone.

7. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Yep and yep.

8. DawkinsINT

The trade was always set-up to be getting a 2nd for Turner. They didn't have Granger in their future plans. He had to be taken for salary money to work due to a min/max thing for both teams.

The 2nd they are getting from the Pacers may not necessarily be in next year's draft, unless that's been officially announced now. It was called for a future 2nd originally.

The Sixers were not going to get a 1st round pick for Turner. They shopped him all day. They barely got this from the Pacers. It was a deadline deal. Disappointing for sure that they couldn't get more, but they weren't going to get much more anyway. Turner's a decent player, but nothing special. His numbers are inflated due to their being a lack of scorers on the Sixers.

My guess is that the pick will be used as part of a package in another deal at a later time.

9. LebaneseFF

The 2nd round pick is 2015.

Hey if your happy, I am happy for you. I just felt that for an expiring contract (let alone talent) you could have done better but I think people are extra hard on sixers knowing they are in tank mode

10. DawkinsINT

It's a fun time to be a Sixers fan. Last night:

[​IMG]

LebaneseFF likes this.
  11. LebaneseFF

WIN.

Please tell me that wasn't you or someone you know :)

12. DawkinsINT

Haha...no. It's a complete stranger.

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

i think you rate turner higher then others may. he's an ok player on a bad team that needs the ball to be effective. that does not fit into the sixers future at all so they got what the could.
    you dont get 1st round picks for an expiring contract unless its an elite star and even then has it ever happend ?

14. LebaneseFF

I am not complaining. The Sixers mortgaged their future, that means the Nets have one less team to compete with :)

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

i got two words for you that should save you the trouble of thinking the nets have a chance to do anything.

billy king.