This Year Could Be Rex Grossman's Last

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BoltsFanUK, Feb 24, 2008.

1. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Charger Fan in The UK

A one-year deal for a starting quarterback in the NFL doesn't say I love you. A one-year deal says we're dating, but we're not committed. It says it's almost closing time, and neither one of us wants to go home alone. More than anything, the Bears agreeing with Rex Grossman on a one-year, stopgap contract Saturday said the team might consider itself closer to rebuilding than either general manager Jerry Angelo or coach Lovie Smith wanted to admit at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.The two sides reached an agreement after talks got off to a shaky start Friday morning, when the Bears opened with an offer Grossman's camp thought placed a value on him somewhere between the equipment manager and backup guard.

Source:[URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080223-haugh-chicago-bears-rex-grossman-signing,1,7121456.column] Chicago Tribune[/URL]

2. AdiBear

AdiBear 1st Stringer

hi mate,
    what it rely means is, Grossman has a year to get his act together..

IMO I think this is a good move.

3. The CO2

The CO2 Don't pray, just play!

I would love to see Rex pick up the pace, and become consistent. I think this is the only way they can scare that into him, if it's possible.

4. AdiBear

AdiBear 1st Stringer

I think the benching did him the power of good...and now he has to work for his job,I think he will be a better player.

5. Underground Dyer

Underground Dyer Chicago Bears Know-It-All

He did play better when he got his job back, so that's something at least. If the O-line is improved in '08 along with th running game, Grossman might have the tools to play a bit more consistently for the Bears.

6. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

And thats why we have had inconsistant QBs in past years, because they get the job handed to them on a silver platter.

7. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Don't have the knowledge of the Bears that you guys have but from what I've seen Rex is what he is. Not sure there's much more to get out of him.

8. AdiBear

AdiBear 1st Stringer

Hi Dougerrrr,
    when Grossman is good he is outstanding,but when he is poor he is crap...:icon_sad:

9. DaBearsrule4ever

Thats the problem. You don't know which Rex Grossman you will get game by game, good or bad.

10. Ridin Burgundy

Ridin Burgundy on the Magic Bandwagon

Problem is he's only good when there is no pressure. Every time he comes up against a half decent pass rush he falls apart.

It's time they get rid and start again with someone new.

11. AdiBear

AdiBear 1st Stringer

why?

keeping Grossman for another year and camp competition,will only benefit us IMO.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Can't hurt to have an extra arm with experience in camp or on the bench...

13. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

imo, the best thing for the bears to do [cause you will only have a good defense for so long, before you have to rebuild it, and it wasnt even dominant this season.] Is to draft you a RB, cause Benson and AP2 are horrible. And in about 4 hours, send Derek Anderson a Offer Sheet, and get him suited up in a bears Uni, when he's bad he is no where near Rex Grossman bad.

14. AdiBear

AdiBear 1st Stringer

I agree about Drafting a RB,Ben$on has been a pain in the butt since day 1 and IMO has made it clear he is only in it for the money...

I still think we will be ok with Grossman,Orton and a Draft pick...

anyway if we had a running game,them Grossmans bad days wouldnt have been to hard to bare,if we had a running game to turn too...

15. Ridin Burgundy

Ridin Burgundy on the Magic Bandwagon

Didn't really word it quite right..

It would be fine to keep him in as a backup but I just think his days as a starter should be over in Chicago.

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

competition for who though ? kyle orton ?

17. AdiBear

AdiBear 1st Stringer

Hi Ridin'Burgundy,
    thats why we are having a camp competition,to find out who is the better player,be it Grossman,Orton or a Draft pick..as long as we have the best player for the spot I'm fine with who ever it is...

18. DaBearsrule4ever

I agree 100%. If Grossman is our starter in 2008, atleast he will have to work for it and not have it handed to him on a silverplatter like in years past.

19. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I wonder what will happen if the winner of the competition didn't have good records and start loosing games? QB carusell again?

20. Marion Who?

Marion Who? Captain Stiff Arm

Really?! I thought he was due a 7 Year $65mil deal. :icon_eek: