Todd McShay NFL mock draft, 1.0: Is defensive line logical in the first round?

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by LebaneseFF, Dec 20, 2013.

1. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

[​IMG]
    We break down Todd McShay's 49ers pick in his first mock draft for the 2014 NFL Draft.

College football's bowl season gets started on Saturday, which means we're that much closer to the full-on NFL Draft season. Analysis for the draft is starting to pick up, and that means the bigger names are getting involved. ESPN's Todd McShay is among those, and he published his first NFL mock draft on Wednesday.

In going through the picks, McShay had the 49ers selecting Minnesota defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman:

Hageman had a monster season for Minnesota in 2013, and I think he is one of those guys who will go on to be a better pro than he was a college player. He is tall, long and well-built with good mobility, and he can take on blocks against the run and is an effective bull rusher against the pbutt. Moreover, he's a perfect fit for the 49ers. He is at his best playing as a 5-technique defensive end in a 3-4 alignment, and he could come in and not have to be an every-down guy right away before eventually replacing Justin Smith in the starting lineup. With some improvement to his technique and hand placement, Hageman could be a really good player.

The 49ers can always use more defensive line depth, but in the first round? His reasoning is that the 49ers can work him in as Justin Smith's eventual replacement. We don't really know what the 49ers have planned long term for Tank Carradine, but one concern that was discussed this year was his transition from Florida State's defensive scheme to that of the 49ers. If they are comfortable with his transition heading into the offseason, would a defensive tackle make sense this early?

How do you view the 49ers defensive line depth heading into the offseason? As it currently stands, the depth chart is as follows:

LDT: Ray McDonald, Tony Jerod-Eddie
    NT: Glenn Dorsey, Quinton Dial
    RDT: Justin Smith, Demarcus Dobbs

IR: NT Ian Williams, DT Tank Carradine, DT Lawrence Okoye

P.S.: DT Mike Purcell

The team will add more depth to that group, but they're in pretty decent shape heading to next season. It is always possible the 49ers will decide to mix in more four-man fronts, and thus will want more bodies. But first round options? I understand looking best available, but I'm just not sure I see it. Thoughts?

[​IMG]
    More from Niners Nation
    Follow @NinersNation Follow @SBNationNFL

Source: Continue reading...