Tom Coughlin Accepts Responsibility For Eagles Punt Return

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by pctrips, Dec 20, 2010.

1. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

Tom Coughlin described it as the lowest feeling one can know in the coaching business. The New York Giants, with a chance to grab first place in the NFC East, suffered one of the worst meltdowns you’ll see in professional football. By now, everyone has seen DeSean Jackson picked the ball off his own 35-yard line after a low, line drive punt from Matt Dodge, and burst 65 yards for a touchdown on the game’s final play. But it was only the final act in a game the Giants led 24-3 at halftime and 31-10 in the fourth quarter. “I’ve never been around anything like this in my life,†Coughlin said. “It’s about as empty as you get to feel in this business, right there. Obviously very, very difficult to discuss or talk about,†Coughlin said. “There aren’t a lot of words to – even for our team, for them to take a hold of other than the fact that we have two games to play, we’ve got to win two games. The explanation for this I think: 24-3, 31-10, the game is never over until it’s over and we talked long and hard about their fourth quarters. I’ll take full responsibility for that last play: the young punter was told to punt it out of bounds and he got a high snap and didn’t feel like he could and we all learned the hard way again. At that point in the game with (Jackson) back there, you don’t punt into that.â€

Source: National Football Post

2. smeags

smeags militant geek

do you also take responsibility for the defensvie collaspe ?

3. I don't blame Coughlin for not sending the hands team after the Eagles made it 31-17. I expected the Eagles to play defense since they had all three timeouts with over 6 minutes left.

That was a good call by Reid and Bobby April.

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

'I take full responsibility. But it was completely the punter's fault.'

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i was thinking the same thing .............. he completely threw the punter under the bus ........ coughlin didn't take responsibility for crap ........... :Loco:

6. well... it was the punter's fault wasn't it? I mean how hard is it to kick the ball out of bounds.

7. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

With that high snap, by the time he controlled it he is lucky it wasn't blocked.

8. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

All I'm saying is don't throw a guy under the bus and preface it by saying your accepting responsibility.

9. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

how about that onside kick?

or having eli and THE RUNNING GAME close out the game?

or how about the D forgetting to tackle.

or the specail teams not being able to tackle.

blame the rookie punter....... bullcrap. maybe figure out how to contain Vick yo

10. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Don't agree with ya often but you sir are correct