Tony Dungy Not Sold On Eagles Signing Free Agent WR Plaxico Burress

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Tony Dungy is serving as a mentor to Plaxico Buress as the former Giant transitions from prison back into the NFL, just as he had done for Michael Vick a couple years prior. What many want to know is, will his pupils be joining forces on the football field in 2011 for the Eagles? “I don’t know that would be the case,†said Dungy, according to The Star-Ledger.â€He wants to be some place where he’s wanted, where he’s comfortable. I don’t think playing football is the most important thing for him now. He wants to play very badly and feels like he had two years to rest his body up, so he’ll be able to play. But just like with Mike, I think it becomes important but not the most important thing.†Vick is on record as saying Burress “would be a great fit†with the Eagles, echoing the sentiment of several of his teammates. Reports indicate that Burress would like to play in Philadelphia, and speculation of a Burress-Eagles union only grew when the 33-year-old wideout emerged from jail donning a Phillies cap. Burress appeared alongside Dungy at an event in New York Monday to discourage gun violence. “I’ve paid a tremendous price for a bad decision,†said Burress. “I said to myself all those 20 months and all those days, ‘How can I take the next step and how can people learn from what happened to me?’ If I can just reach out to the community and kids will listen to a person like myself through what I accomplish on the football field, then I feel that I’ll be a great mentor to help kids stay away from firearms.â€

Source: Philadelphia Sports Daily

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2011