Ump Suspended 1 Game For Bumping Mets Manuel

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by DaBearsrule4ever, Jun 26, 2008.

1. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3462067

One game, are you fricking kidding me? Players and coaches would have gotten more then one game for bumping an umpire.

Jerry Manuel and Carlos Beltran were also fined an undisclosed amount for their roles in this altercation.

2. skinsfan1

skinsfan1 BANNED

I agree with bears, A player would have at least gotten 5 games

3. DaBearsrule4ever

Granted Manuel didn't get bumped hard at all, I agree that the ump deserved atleast 3-5 games.

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

that ump went out of his way to start something. that alone should have gotten him a game. the fact that he bumped someone should've brought him another (5) games.

crap - i ump 16yr olds and i would've been suspended for at least (5) games.

5. DaBearsrule4ever

All in all, i'm not suprised the ump got a slap on the wrist.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

agreed.

7. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

I agree totally. The ump in the Bradley incident was suspended for 4-5 games and I don't think he even touched anybody.

That's awesome that you're an umpire. They make pretty good pay for each game, don't they? One of the things I remember about little league was how the coach would always have to give the Ump around $50 before the game started. I used to snitch about that all the time when I was having a bad game and didn't like the calls. "We're (because somehow that $50 was mine, too) paying you good money for this?!":icon_mrgreen:

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

damn, i forgot all about the ump involved with bradley.

yeah it's $50 a game. i'm a sub ump so i don't get a ton of games but it's fun. i actually had to boot my first parent this year. i got nailed by a foul tipped ball and it caught me right on the collar bone. i didnt have a base ump (90ft) and everytime i took a step it killed me and because of it i missed a call at first and this guy just kept coming at me and wouldn't let it go. as if that call was why his kid's team was done 10-1 at the time.

9. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

That ump was an butt and got what he deserved.

10. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

I've never seen a parent get tossed, but I had a coach who used to get thrown out all the time. Personally, I loved it, cause it took away some your frustrations while giving you an "us against the world" mentality. It also let you know, despite being 4 times our age, he cared just as much as we did. I've only been ejected a couple times myself, I didn't deserve it the one time though.

Would you toss a high school player for saying "Are you freaking kidding me?" and then "Get outta here, blue," after an out call?

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

nah - that's in the heat of the moment. you let the player get back to the dugout. if he keeps it up you give the manager a bench warning and if doesnt work you toss him.

i got tossed in high school too - the ump called me out on a steal to 3rd. the 3rd basemen lost the ball and it went under me. when i showed him the ball and called him on it i got ejected.

some guys dont know how to leave thier egos at the door and should be umpiring.

12. DaBearsrule4ever

Just another case that the umpire is NOT ALWAYS right.