Underestimating the San Antonio Spurs

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by SportsChump, Jun 5, 2014.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

I feel an apology is in order.

As a hardcore, self-professed basketball jones, of all people, I should know better than to underestimate the always underestimated San Antonio Spurs. Somehow, once again, I fell victim to doing so. I know I’m not the only one.

For some reason, we all keep writing this team off. It’s easy to do.

They’re too old, we say. (The Spurs are the fifth oldest team in the league; ironically, Miami is the oldest.) So if that’s the case, why do we consistently say Miami is a no-brainer to win a(nother) championship yet count San Antonio out for being too ancient?

Every year we dismiss the Spurs, saying their window is thiiiis far from being shut and every year they surprise everyone stupid enough to suggest that.

Shame on us!

More at: http://sportschump.net/2014/06/05/underestimating-san-antonio-spurs/13950/

2. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I think you can stick a fork in the Heat. They're done.

3. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I think that's a stupid thing to say about a team with the best player in the world. Although I do think the spurs well win, to say a team is done is just not something a logical sports fan should say.

I am shocked at how mis matched these trends have looked so far though. The heat look just as complacent as their fans. And the spurs look like they're literally playing for their lives.

4. Steve12

It's true about the spurs though. They are always at the top of the conference, yet somehow people never take them seriously. I'm just as guilty as everyone else.

5. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Popovich is one of the greatest coaches of all-time. He teaches his team a way of playing that is unselfish, yet extremely effective. Old school.

markaz and Omen like this.
  6. ragman

The Heat are simply over matched, IMO. In this series, you see a TEAM playing a TEAM game.

7. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

doesn't seem so stupid now. if it would have been a closer series I would agree with you. The way they lost makes me think that as a team, the Heat are toast.

8. ragman

1. As I said, they're done.

2. "The best player in the world"? Really?

3. The Heat's bench players gave them nothing in this series. The saying "Too many chiefs and not enough Indians" comes to mind.

9. Buck Fenson

Racist remark. It is too many upper management candidates and not enough people who roll up their sleeves and gets to work. Seriously, they thought they could get by just on name alone. So, I guess there goes the " not one, not two, not three....."

ragman likes this.
  10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

You're blaming LeBron for losing the series? Really?

28.2 pts/game
    7.8 reb
    4.0 ass
    2.0 steals
    57.1 FG%
    51.9 3-pointers

Yup...his fault.

11. Buck Fenson

not him. he was the only one who showed up to play that series.

ragman likes this.
  12. ragman

Not saying it was his fault. Just disagreeing with Steve that he's the greatest player in the world. That's all.

Now, what do the Heat do?

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

what's to disagree with ? he is the best player in the world.

Diesel44 likes this.
  14. ragman

Player or athlete?

Not Durant or Westbrook?

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

i love durrant but he is not at lebron's level.

westbrook ? - lmao

16. Steve12

Lmao ragman. Come on dude. This is why I can't take you seriously.

17. Steve12

Yea in hindsight it makes sense. But I'm still not comfortable ever counting a team out. Pro sports fans should know better.

18. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

as much as i would love to see mr james at fault,he was the only one playing for the heat.
    [​IMG]

Buck Fenson, Steve12 and DawkinsINT like this.
  19. Steve12

Yep you can't put this on LeBron. He played well for the most part. Their lack of quality(or even nba level) bench players was obvious. Wade didn't show up, bosh didn't show up. It was Cleveland all over again.

20. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

only person i saw showing up for miami was labron. he is the face and best player in the league.