Vic Fangio’s Words Don’t Hurt 49ers CB Nnamdi Asomugha

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Aug 11, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Sticks and stones may break his bones, but lukewarm performance reviews won’t hurt Nnamdi Asomugha.

A week after 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said it’s unclear if the 32-year-old cornerback has “enough gas left in his tank,†Asomugha was asked about his coach’s so-so assessment.

The gist of the even-keeled Asomugha’s calm response: His self-critiques are more withering than those offered by Fangio, or anyone else.

“I’m highly critical of myself,†Asomugha said. “Highly, highly critical of myself. So there’s not much that someone else might say that makes me feel like I need to be motivated in a different way.

“Like I said, I’m a self-motivated guy and I’m probably saying worse than the next guy is saying anyway. I think I’ve progressed each day, which is the goal of this time of the year, especially being on a new team.â€

Asomugha said he feels “great†physically … and mentally. He alluded to confidence issues after his forgettable 2012.

“When I watch some of the stuff that I’m doing on film, some of the stuff – it’s looking good,†Asomugha said. “And it’s encouraging. Not because the age that I am, just what I’ve been through.

“There are moments along the way where I need to see some of that progress just for self-encouragement. And I’ve seen it. I’ve been out there making plays and doing a lot of the things that I know I can do. My confidence is in a good place.â€

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

2. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Vic is just stirring up competition. Doesn't want any of those guys feeling comfortable