Vikings Zygi Wilf Willing To Chase Jon Gruden With $30M?

Discussion in 'Minnesota Vikings' started by Sweets, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Could Zygi Wilf make up for his "clumsily" delivered announcement of Leslie Frazier with a bigger announcement down the road? That might be the only way that Wilf, who despite the dire economy will push again for a new stadium in the next state legislative session, can sell hope for this team to the public. ... The most likely guy, if Wilf goes that route, would seem to be [Jon] Gruden, as coach. If Wilf were able to entice Gruden, who coached Tampa Bay to a Super Bowl championship, Gruden certainly would require control over personnel decisions. That way, Wilf could leave his current front office, for the most part, intact. Gruden's price tag could be $30 million over five years.

Source: Minneapolis Star Tribune

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
  2. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

3. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

i say yesssss that way all these delusions cowboy fans that want him dallas will shut up

4. Flacco2MasonTD

Flacco2MasonTD ಠ_ಠ

Is he going to get Tony Dungy to coach there for 5 years first and then hire Gruden or does Zygi think he knows something the rest of us don't?

What a disgrace of a franchise.

5. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

iirc gruden got fired cause he sucked? how the hell do coaches gain so much momentum after a few year

6. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

LOL at all the fan bases who support this so they don't get him. Count the Browns in that group too.

7. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Good. Simple way to ensure the Vikings stay out of the playoff for five years. If he took the team over last year when the team was Super Bowl ready he might have had a chance. As it stands now, this will be a miserable failure.

8. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i firmly believe that gruden was a good coach at one time. however, after he won his super bowl, he got control/power-hungry, lost whatever he had and created a mess.

same thing happened to shanahan, parcells, and holmgren in my opinion ...............

if these coaches could stay focused on player management and the x's and o's instead of spreading themselves so thin with GM and even CEO (salary cap) duties in some cases, they could stay on top of the head coaching profession a lot longer................

9. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Many of his own former TB players have gone on record saying he won because of Dungy's defense and that they won inspite of him not because him. True or not that's not the kind of impression a good coach leaves on players. He certainly showed promise the way he turned around the raiders but he showed an equal lack of promise the way he turned around the bucs after the SB win.

10. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

Because of speculation that Zygi might try to hire Gruden?

11. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Cowboys fans should be happy if Zygi is willing to take Gruden off the market.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Gruden>Childress but < most current coaches in the league.

However, the name "Gruden" could help get a stadium built over the name "Frazier" so in a way it might work.

Is a losing record and new stadium better than a winning record and crap stadium?

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

The Cowboys have their coach of the future with 2-3 more wins...lol.

14. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

Yes, with the Dome's lease up after next year. I don't think there is any chance the Vikes will renew the lease, unless the stadium plan gets approved, then the Dome would likely be leased until the new one is constructed. Of course I'd much rather have a new stadium and a winning record.

15. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

QFT!! And quite honestly, I am excited to see what Garrett can do with a full season. :beer:

16. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

With Romo at the helm. He's really going to be able to open the offense up.