What effect would losing Desean Jackson have on the Eagles offense

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Jihad Joe, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

How do you think Philadelphias offense will respond if they move on from Jackson

2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

You mean when they move on? Jackson's not even returning Kelly's phone calls. If someone truly believes in the Chip Kelly system then the Eagles will be fine without Jackson. Still on the roster will be McCoy, Darren, Maclin, Cooper, Celek, and Ertz. Add to that two All-Pro O-Linemen in Mathis and Peters and that adds up to a pretty potent offense. Nick Foles? He ain’t too bad himself. So what effect will Jackson's leaving the Eagles have on their offense? Not much. Losing Chip Kelly would be more profound.

Aussie61 likes this.
  3. Jihad Joe

But out of those receivers who is a go to player? Its not easy to replace an 80 catch 1,300 yard 9 TD guy

4. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

It's hard to answer the question because it would depend on who they draft to replace him. Obviously the offense won't be quite as potent, but it probably won't be to the devastating level that some are suggesting. Hopefully he stays.

5. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I don't know that of that bunch there really is a go-to guy like Jackson. I just think that with Kelly's offense, esp with the addition of Sproles, that the ball will be spread around more to make up the number of catches and potentially the TD's. The yards is a tougher call.
    Aren't they at the point of no return with Jackson not returning Kelly's calls?

6. DawkinsINT

Some say it's the opposite, that Jackson is not returning Kelly's calls. Nobody really knows what is going on, so I can't say they are at the point of no return.

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

too many rumors right now. not sure what the real story is but as much as i didnt want to admit it this is not going to end with jackson being on the team.

8. Jihad Joe

Brandin Cooks would be a solid " replacement" I dont think he is the long ball type Jackson but his elusiveness adds a wrinkle. At the same token he isnt a bell cow type that's gonna be counted on in a 2 WR set, and without that you have to rely on 3 and 4 wide sets and compromise protection.

IMO your best is Marquis Lee. Maclinish, but more polished then Maclin was. Can play inside and outside. Not a burner but needs to be respected deep. Great route runner. Big issue with him is durability, and also while he COULD be a good #1 guy, he may be more of a #2. When I watch him he kinda reminds me of a healthy Miles Austin

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

i'd have to really look at the wr's coming out. i admit i haven't looked into them too much to this point but gonna need to now.

10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I'm not sure that you are real clear on the definition of "opposite" here, Gawk.

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

:ROFLMAO:i let that one go ... i knew you wouldnt.

12. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

what is gonna happen if foles gets hurt if this is true?
    Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
    And @mortreport is reporting that, pending a physical, former Jets QB Mark Sanchez is expected to sign with the Eagles.

13. DawkinsINT

Haha. Yeah, I reversed the names in my post because my phone started ringing. That's why I shouldn't post at work sometimes.

14. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Well, what will happen if Foles gets hurt, is Sanchez will take his place at quarterback.

15. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

1st pic of foles showing sanchez around philly.
    [​IMG]

Steve12, markaz, 86WARD and 1 other person like this.
  16. 86WARD

86WARD -

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Losing Jackson would hurt...but if they signed Sanchez, just remember that he could be a WR as well...sort of a dual threat.

[​IMG]

18. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

God the wildcat was so rad.