What's Wrong With The Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by CaptainStubing, Nov 24, 2009.

?

What's Wrong With The Texans?

1. Too many athletes, not enough football players

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Bad Coaching

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. They were just overrated going into the season

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

There has been a lot of talk the last couple of weeks about the Texans’ inability to finish games along with an apparent lack of passion/focus in the players. Slaton fumbling all the time. Their kicker choking at the end of games. Mario Williams disappearing for entire games. Stupid penalties. You get the idea.

The Texans under Kubiak have always perplexed me. This was supposed to be the year they put it all together. They seem to have extraordinary athleticism at most positions. They have drafted highly many times and gotten some of the best college players on paper. In addition, they have spent a lot of money of some expensive free agents the last couple of years.

However, are the Texans guilty of the same infraction that we’ve all known about the Raiders and Redskins for a long time, which is bringing in ‘athletes’ who look good at workouts, practices, and combines in their shorts but who may not be the best ‘football players’ available? The Raiders and Redskins organizations have been accused by many of putting together teams as if they are fantasy football teams. Can we now say the same about the Texans? I think everyone would agree that a superior athlete isn’t always the best choice if he doesn’t have the desire, passion, and leadership to win (i.e. Jeff George).

The apparent lack of leadership and passion from their players under Kubiak even though they are typically the more talented team on the field makes me wonder………..

Thoughts?

2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

It wasn't until Ken Whisenhunt landed in Arizona did I fully appreciate what a quality HC means to an organization. An effective HC not only brings the X's and O's knowledge, but the ability to change the mindset of players is an intangible that successful HC's possess. Kubiak came to the Texans amid the speculation that his Denver grooming would translate into victories for the fledgling Texans. They have enough good players to have a better won/loss record than they do, but I do not think they can go any further under the reign of Gary Kubiak.

Slaton does fumble, but that is coachable (Tiki Barber, Beanie Wells, etc.). Penalties is a direct result of a poorly coached team, one that lacks discipline. And the list goes on.

In my opinion, the Houston Texans will continue to wallow until Kubiak is replaced.

3. cris80

cris80 comic relief

markaz, totally agree about Whisenhunt. The guy is a stud and has done an outstanding job with the Cardinals.

The Texans defense is pretty mediocre in my opinion. They've got a good O, but it's not enough to win the big games.

4. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

Well, you have Mario Williams and Antonio Smith with a combined total of 6 sacks so far, which less than Jared Allen (10.5), Dwight Freeney (9.5), Trent Cole (8.5), Robert Mathis (8.5), Will Smith (8.5), Andre Carter (8), Antwon Odom (8) , and Julius Peppers (7).
    Add in Amobi Okoye and Shaun Cody, the other two starters, and the Texans D-Line has 7.5 sacks.
    Mario has 4 right now which puts him on pace for 6 or 7 for the season. He had 14.5 last year. 12 the year before.
    The D-line not getting pressure on the QB's and the only time I've really seen them make plays is when the QB holds the ball too long, or if someone misses a block.

The Texans as a team this year has 8 ints, which equals the number that Jarius Baird has for Buffalo.

The defense has kept the team in games, but they don't do enough to kill another teams momentum. They have only one defensive TD this year and that was against the Jets near the end of the game. They have been able to force a lot of 3 and outs, but that doesn't matter when the offense gives the ball right back.

The offense falls flat too many times during the course of a game. They have too many three and outs and can't make the plays that matter when the game is on the line. They lost to the Jaguars, Cardinals, Colts and Titans, all on the last plays of the game.

The running game lacks the most stability because they can't decide who should be the starter. Every year they end up starting 2 or 3 different RB's during the season. This year Moats, Brown, and Slaton have started games. Slaton would have been the starter for every game this year but, his fumbling problems have made him a liability.

As far as the coaching goes, I think they have a good a scheme, but the players are not motivated, and that is why I think they have been so mediocre. The Texans don't know who they are yet. I thought Kubiak was a much better coach that Capers, but maybe I was wrong about him.

5. awojakay1

awojakay1 DA VET

The Texans are not ABSOLUTE GARBAGE but they areSTR8 TRASH. and thats all i have to say about that.

I Love to watch them lose....they should've taking V YOUNG when they had the chance.

Lets drink to the Texans losing out the rest of the season. :drinks:

6. DontKnowMe

There's a difference between trash and garbage? Could you explain that?

7. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

DontKnowMe, just be happy someone for the first time in the history of pro football is wasting there time to hate on the Texans.

8. awojakay1

awojakay1 DA VET

Well lets see........ Garbage-the texans with D. CARR
    ............................Str8 trash-the texans with out D.CARR
    any questions?????????

The texans need to start over from the top to the bottom. That means front office to cleaning crew everyone. The owner and his people don't know how to draft players or how to land FA's. When they fired a coach this past season it was the wrong one. They need to fire a coach just not the Def. Co. as far as the o-line HAHAHA. Not going to talk about SorriO Williams (bust) but hey he hit it big with the signing bonus. Nope not going to even mention about how they came to realize that Phat Schaub was a better QB for the starting job over V. Young. I wonder who that genius was. Its cool DKM just like your name Dont Know....I DONT KNOW and they DONT KNOW either what the hell their doing...

9. DontKnowMe

I still don't see what difference Carr makes in the team being garbage or trash.
    What coaches are you talking about? If you are talking about Richard Smith, he needed to go because the defense wasn't so great when he was here, but Frank Bush isn't doing much better.
    They can get rid of all of the coaches right now as far as I'm concerned.
    The o-line sucks, and I really don't like Duane Brown.
    I wouldn't call Williams a bust yet, but he is definetly underperfoming. He was doing good the last two seasons but I don't know what the hell he is doing this year.

They couldn't have really picked Schaub over Young because Schaub got here the year after Vince was drafted, but I would have picked Young over Carr.
    Matt Schaub can put up good numbers, but he can't win games, he doesn't really look like a leader out there.

10. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

I'd take Schaub over Young without question.

11. DontKnowMe

This is a toss up for me because with Schaub you get a pocket passer which is what is desired in the NFL, but he is average IMO. I don't think he will reach elite status.
    With Young you get a playmaker but he isn't the ideal NFL qb. That last drive against Arizona is going to look damn good on his resume.

12. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

I think if Kubiak/Shanny/2010HC lets him call audibles at the line, he'll be able to put together some better play. Kubiak keeps handcuffing him by forcing him to run the scripted play and not what Schaub reads.

13. DontKnowMe

He calls audibles, he just needs a timeout to do it:icon_cheesygrin:

14. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

That shouldn't be that funny but I laughed at it. :user:

15. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Carr was a good QB in a ridiculously losing situation, no QB pro bowl or otherwise would have survived 76 sacks in a season, the Texans o-line was just pure crap with Carr.

16. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

this is an easy one for me....... whats wrong with the texans? peyton manning.... duh...

17. gillmanjr

gillmanjr Rookie

Can't believe no one has posted it yet but what about the inconsistency and now loss of Steve Slaton? He is a HUGE part of that offense.

18. awojakay1

awojakay1 DA VET

Dont know me...................:ganja: on this
    Since we are being so exact about it. You r right about Schaub and V. Young one after the other, but I live in Houston and I heard Bobby (owner) of the Texans say that before they could think about trading D.Carr that they have to ask is there a QB out there better than D. Carr and this was during D. Carr reign. Phat Boi was a backup to M. Vick and V. Young was at Texas still leaving his man spakle on the rest of the collegate scrubs. :eek:p:

Now at this point the Texans had every chance to decide on who to get and when to get them.

So again the Texans are tore up from the roota to the toota. They just DONT KNOW......just like you didn't know about the press conference with old Bobby.... if you still don't get it then hey that explain why u r a Texans fan....sad 1st the fat boys break up now this....and don't worry u and i will become real good friends ( DKM) cause I love to watch the texans get bashed on :violent24: any given sunday....hahahahahaha :violent05: DEM BOYS know how to draft players, use players, and pay players.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

i just want to say NUFF SAID to the last sentence in you quote.

V. Young is the better choice oh and not just cause of the Arizona game but a lot of other games as well.

19. DontKnowMe

Okay so you give the Texans hard time because they passed on Vince Young and made some other questionable decisions over the years, but you are a Cowboys fan. The team that has an owner that pretty much ran off a Super Bowl winning coach and they haven't really found one good enough to replace him yet. Wade got them to the playoffs but they can't win with him. And then they sign players like Pacman Jones and T.O., knowing that those were a couple of bombs waiting to go off. And then there is Tony Romo. I don't know why everyone thinks he so great, because he hasn't proved that he is yet. As a matter of fact, Matt Schaub is having a better year at QB than he is right now. So good luck in December, because you just KNOW (that's so clever) the Cowboys are going to beat N.O., Washington, and Philly.

20. Texxx

Texxx Special Teamer

Well if we went by that, then I guess we would have to consider his horrible second season, his awful beginning start of last season where he got benched and had a ton of maturity and emotional issues that leaked all over the media. We'd have to forget about a lot of the games we saw in his rookie season that were pretty bad, and then we'd have a lot to think about wouldn't we? The Titans have won all of their games the last 3 years before this season through great defense and a very good running game behind a great HC that knows how to win games in Fisher. VY looked awful last year and couldn't even keep the job over Kerry freaking Collins.

Now this year he's improved quite a bit, but he hasn't played a lot of games really. Teams haven't had a lot of time to watch him on film and plan for him as easy now. He's been a nice change of pace for this team that needed a sort of change they could find. They were never as bad as their record indicated. VY has played well, but he's done that by letting Chris Johnson dominate teams. CJ has been the guy that's done the majority of the offensive damage for the Titans in this run they've had. When CJ isn't destroying teams, will VY be able to win games with his arms "consistently?" That's a big question. A huge question that you won't really know until the mid point of next season. We've seen VY get hot before, and we've also seen him get really cold, and when he has he hasn't been able to take it well and deal with the adversity. He had some of these problems while he was at Texas.

I don't think the Texans made the wrong decision at this point in time. Schaub has been a damn good QB this season. 4 of the Texans losses Schuab brought the team down the field to either score or tie up the game and the HC made a terrible decision or the K missed a FG. Schuab did his part though and has been a lot more consistent in the RZ this season and on late game drives. The Texans don't have a problem at QB right now. They're just fine. They have a coaching problem.