Will Emmitt Smith's Record Be Broken? Breaking Down The Race

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Omen, Aug 7, 2010.

1. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

i dont think nor did i suggest they will enjoy an emmitt like career....i was just saying that yes, you did make a strong statement in saying no RB gets more than 50% of the teams carries

thats bullcrap, my distaste for tim tebow doesnt make me a gator hater, i could care less about them but my draft man loves for percy harvin and maurkice pouncey should be enough proof

false, im not saying AT ALL that he wasnt very talented and i never said anything about his oline thats not his fault and ive heard you say those same words before....he was great and consistant.

but it is only cowboy homers that think emmitt is the best ever, ive seen barry sanders vs emmitt threads on several forums, its always a blowout except for a few cowboys fans that insist hes the best player to ever live just like old steelers fans that wont accept the fact that jack lambert and terry bradshaw are not the be all end all best players ever.

anyway you guys skew what im saying, i just dont think emmitt is the best ever or even close to it, and i think his record will fall eventually, i cant give you a name of whose gonna break it but its gonna be a guy that plays for around 14 years as well

2. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

shoulda coulda woulda............oh well

is emmit the best ever..........no is he one of the best IMO yes

barry vs emmitt blah blah blah this will be asked for a long time

the fact is Bary quit something emmitt never did

3. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I always liked Barry Sanders. He is my mind the best running back of all times. Emmitt had a monster line to run behind. Barry had none of that. He was on a very bad team. The only other player on the team at the time that was decent was Herman Moore. And the team wasn't trying to improve so Barry could get a ring. So he did what he should have done and retired while he could still walk. I said then and I am saying now, put Barry behind the Oline of the Cowgirls back then and he would have rushed for over 3000 yards. But Emmitt behind the Lions online and he would been out of football within 5 years from being broken up.

4. K Train

see jihad...THAT is severely undercutting his talent, something i was not doing

5. Buck Fenson

How was I undercutting his talent? Granted I hate the Cowboys more than I hate the Falcons which is ALOT but I give them their due. I am just saying that Emmitt had the good luck to be drafted by a club that drafted big linemen. He still had to produce don't get me wrong. But put Barry bihind that line and the rushing record would be over 20,000 yards if he played the same years as Emmitt. Them two were neck and neck every year. I am at a library computer so it won't let me right click so I can paste but google comparing Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith. When Barry reitired in 98 he was 1500 yards from the rushing title. Emmitt broke the record 4 years later. But at the end the writer says that Emmitt is the best of all time.

6. K Train

hey i think sanders was worlds better than emmitt, but to say he would have been out of football sooner rather than later but be a little extreme especially when emmitt showed hes extremely durable....maybe he wouldnt have been nearly as productive but im sure he could still play. a great oline makes you get alot of yards and have a good average....but as a RB you get hit at the end of every play regardless of how far your blockers get you. getting 5 a pop in dallas compared to 3 a pop in detroit emmitt would still have to endure the grind of being an NFL RB, something he showed he could do for 14 years

if anything he got more hits in dallas since he was so productive he was fed the ball, in detroit they sucked butt so he wouldnt have gotten so many touches since they needed to always catch up

7. Buck Fenson

most of the hits back then were at the LOS. Big players means that Dlinemen and most linebackers didn't get a crushing blow on running back. As much yards that Barry had he had the most carries for loss. I am not expert but I believe that if the defense can shoot the gap and tackle your back for a loss your offensive linemen are not getting the job done. What I meant by out of the league so early has nothing to do with the durablilty of Smith but from the horrible line that the Lions had. Barry could and often had to make people miss him in the backfield as soon as he touched the ball. Emmith couldn't be able to do that as often as Barry therefor he would have gotten creamed. The defenses were 1000% better back then. Barry saved his own butt countless times by being so elusive. There is a diffence from being hit by a Dlineman, linebacker, and corner or safety. Not back then though. A lot of safeties were the size of most linebackers now.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  8. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

like i said Emmitt is not the best ever but one of the best.........

Sanders is one too but not the best

Emmitt could also elude as well but they were different type of rushers.......just look at this vid and you can see him bracking tackles (some in the backfield)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rccXaO30V8]YouTube - ‪Emmitt Smith Highlights‬‎[/ame]

9. PurplePeopleEaters

PurplePeopleEaters moon over minnie!

emmitt is easily one of the best ever. i hate to say it. top 3 of all-time.

i'd want to see ad break the record, its not gonna happen. no way cj does it either.

10. K Train

if AD plays for 10 more years hes probably got the best chance of doing it...i cant see him lasting anywhere near that long though

11. PurplePeopleEaters

PurplePeopleEaters moon over minnie!

that would be a wetdream if ad played 10. not a chance hes healthy enough to last 10.

12. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

LOL!! I really wouldn't give up my dog.. But you are on point dude! It will be a long while before the league goes back to the "good ol" days. Running back my comity is looking more and more like the norm. :icon_cool:

13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Don't ever give up...

14. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

your craping me right? he averaged over 5 yard a carry over his carreer. one 2000 yard season. and was the engine that ran the Detroit Lions. he never had a O-line like Emmitt. and His defensive teams were always just above par. He is underrated. and will never get his just deserves, because he had idiots for HC's.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  15. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Wrong. He'll never get it because he gave up with the record in sight.

Again: Don't ever give up...

16. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

i wasnt arguing that he deserved the Title. i was arguing that he wasnt overrated.

who are we 2 argue that his heart wasnt into football anymore. his Team as an organization wasnt committed 2 winning. other wise they wouldnt have ran him in2 the ground every year. if i was Berry, i wouldnt have wanted 2 play either.

17. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Can you imagine if John Elway had quit after losing 3 Super Bowl? You never know. Maybe the Lions land a superstar QB Tom Brady style in the draft, or get lucky one year. Everything is possible. It's the beauty of sports.

I'm not arguing he was underrated either. He was amazing to watch, and it was a shame he retired early.

18. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Barry had Pro Bowlers on his line. Wasnt nearly as good as Emmitts but saying he had a crap line is a falesy. Also Derrick Lassic, and Sherman Williams, both All Americans and first and 3rd round draft choice's respectivly failed miserably behind the same line, and Chris Warren, an All Pro, was mediocre

The Emmit V Sanders debate is closed due to the fact that Emmitt himself aid Sanders was better. Even if you wanted to overlook that Sanders was the better back. Sanders had good teams around him, but he never had great teams. His QB's were known to be erratic. 4 TD's one week, 4 ints the next. He never had a team that could win without him getting 100+ consitantly. However Sanders never done as well in Dallas as people think. I actually think it would have been the worst place for a back like him to play. Dallas was pure north and south. See the hole, hit the hole, and hit someone while you do it. Sanders made his money cutting back, running a stretch play and cutting inside if the outside wasnt clean.

Personally I rank both backs lower than most. Sanders was too inconsistent himself, and disappeared in key games. Emmitt was consistant, but really only had a few monster years, where he was clearly the best (1992 and 1993), other than those two years he was more solid. He was a 1,200 -1,400 yard 15 TD guy for a long time, but just a 1,200-1,400 yard guy.

Honeslty if it werent for his lack of durability, I would say Faulk has been the best back of the past 25 years

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

He is overrated because he is widely considered the best ever by the youtube generation, and he failed consistently in the playoffs and against good teams.

He is in the top 4 all time, but IMO its a injustice to say Jim Brown to call Sanders the best ever

19. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

Jihad Joe kickin that crazy knowledge.. :beer:

20. K Train

lol dallas would NOT have been pure north and south if barry sanders was the runner, get that crap outta here

i think barry is the best ever, emmit falls around 5th or 6th to me...which by all means people is not a bad thing, theres been alot of great RBs in the league. and i refuse to say stuff like he was on a better team, and he wouldnt have been anything without aikmen or irvin because i think he was the most important part of that equation and they wouldnt have been successful without him, not the other way around. emmit was the most important player in dallas (imo, im sure you guys will give that to aikmen) and barry was by far the most important player on detroit they are just polar opposite kinds of runners