Week 8 TE Fantasy Football Rankings
The Week 8 TE Fantasy Football Rankings got a little shaken this week after Redskins TE Fred Davis was placed on injured reserve after tearing his left Achilles’ tendon. Maurice Jones-Drew’s foot injury may have garnered the headlines this week, but many owners are suffering from Davis’ loss. Which leads me right into my first topic:
Chris Cooley Is Not A TE1 Option For Fred Davis Owners
There was a time when Cooley had fantasy relevance written all over him. Going back to the 2010 season, Cooley’s 77 receptions for 849 yards and 3 touchdowns made him a fantasy asset. But now in 2012, this is not the same Chris Cooley as before. Now at 30, Cooley barely got any free-agency buzz after the Redskins released him. He did get a few backup offers, but the lack of interest is a telling sign that Cooley has lost it. Now at 30, his athleticism just isn’t there anymore. He will likely rotate with Logan Paulsen and Niles Paul, which means everyone should stay away from this situation altogether. I am sure some owners will have picked Cooley up simply because of name recognition, but he is not the answer for your TE1 spot.
Will Kyle Rudolph Suffer The Same Fate As Dennis Pitta?
Rudolph wasn’t the greatest of the greats in terms of top tight end value. Most of his points came from touchdowns. But still, points are points. And those touchdowns kept Rudolph in the top 10-12 every week. Like Pitta against the Browns, Rudolph laid a big ZERO on his owners against the Cardinals. But unlike Pitta, most of Rudolph’s problems stem from Christian Ponder reverting back to a first-year quarterback in his first start. Ponder’s 58 passing yards were the lowest of the year. That won’t help anyone in the passing game. While I don’t think Rudolph will suffer the same fate as Pitta, he is not ranked in the top-12 of my Week 8 TE Fantasy Football Rankings.
RANK PLAYER TEAM OPPONENT NOTES
1. Tony Gonzalez Atlanta @ Philadelphia 2. Jason Witten Dallas vs. New York Giants 3. Rob Gronkowski New England @ St. Louis 4. Vernon Davis San Francisco @ Arizona Awful Week 7, but I can't see him putting up back-to-back duds.
5. Antonio Gates San Diego @ Cleveland 6. Jimmy Graham New Orleans @ Denver I will keep tabs on his practices, but he is expected to play after sitting Week 7.
7. Aaron Hernandez New England @ St. Louis 8. Brent Celek Philadelphia vs. Atlanta Falcons give up a little over 11 points a game to fantasy tight ends. Hopefully the bye week helped.
9. Dustin Keller New York Jets vs. Dolphins Back in the fold after a strong performance in Week 7.
10. Heath Miller Pittsburgh vs. Washington Miller didn't let me down last week after I ranked him so high.
11. Martellus Bennett New York Giants @ Dallas 12. Brandon Pettigrew Detroit vs. Seattle 13. Jared Cook Tennessee vs. Indianapolis 14. Jacob Tamme Denver vs. New Orleans Even his PPR value is slipping.
15. Kyle Rudolph Minnesota @ Tampa Bay 16. Greg Olsen Carolina @ Chicago No such thing as "Revenge Factor" here.
17. Brandon Myers Oakland @ Kansas City 18. Jermichael Finley Green Bay vs Jacksonville What the hell happened here? Finley has sunk hard.
19. Anthony Fasano Miami @ New York Jets 20. Ben Watson Cleveland vs. San Diego