Here are 5 bounce back candidates for the 2017 fantasy football draft. Some players on this list had an injury plagued 2016 while some others were just way off like a Chuck Knoblauch throw to first. Players coming off a bad season can usually be drafted at a much lower average draft position than the previous season. But that recency bias is something we want to exploit. Chances are it will give our team an edge. For example, number one on our list of bounce back candidates had a first round ADP last year. This year his ADP is currently 2.4 and will probably drop more after the NFL draft.
- Todd Gurley, LAR (RB): After a stellar 2015 rookie season (1106 - 10 TD) earned him a 1st round ADP in last years draft. That first round pick earned Gurley owners a hefty 885 yards, 6 TDs, 3.2 YPC, 43 catches 327 yards. Needless to say, the huge drop in production mean we will see his ADP drop headed into the 2017 fantasy football draft. New head coach Sean McVay didn't have this kind of talent in Washington. With a healed up offensive line and better play at Quarterback, Gurley should have a bounce back year. I'm predicting 1100 yards rushing, 40 catches for 350 yards and 14 total TDs. Well worth the discount.
- C.J. Anderson, DEN (RB): RBBC, the 4 letters grouped together that NO fantasy football owner wants to hear. Good news for us is that Gary Kubiak is out and Mike McCoy and his spread offense is in. An offense that will benefit a guy like C.J. and his talents. Finishing with less than 900 yards rushing the past 3 years doesn't seem right but it's true. That will change this year. C.J. is thirsty to prove he can be the every down back and will do so by pilling up 1050 yards on the ground and add 450 yards through the air and catch 45 balls. Giddy up!
- Keenan Allen, SD (WR): The dude has it in him to be an elite fantasy WR. The problem is Allen hasn't finished a season since entering the NFL. Coming off a week 1 ACL tear, GM Tom Telesco said Allen is "right on track". At a discounted price tag if he was there in the 4th round I'd pounce, his current ADP is mid-third round. Projected stats: WR1 production with at least 14 games. 6 Points if he goes down after the first drive.
- Alshon Jeffery, PHI (WR): As a Lions fan I really wanted him to come to Detroit! The Eagles just received an amazing gift (a 1 year $14 million gift) that will keep on giving as long ad he is on the field. I've watched many Bears/Lions games and I know this guy is a stud! His hands are bigger than Lady Gaga's adam's apple and at only 27 years old he is ready to be the wind underneath Carson Wentz's wings. They are excited to get to play with each other and so is everybody wearing a Eagles hat on their way to their job at the factory. I have no problem projecting him around 1200 yards on 90 catches and 11 TDs. He will be on my wish list!
- Theo Riddick, DET (RB): A wrist injury held him to 10 games last year. In those 10 games he had 3.9 YPA rushing and caught 53 passes. He is a PPR darling especially over a full season. He can handle 3 down work but is best suited as the 3rd down back, and we all know the Lions are on 3rd down a lot! But they did have a 41% conversion rate. They love to hit the RB on swing routes and that fits Theo to a capital T! If they pick up a bruiser RB like Adrian Peterson the Lions would finally have a 1, 2 punch worth talking about. Projecting (with at least 14 games) 84 receptions and around 400 yards on the ground with 9 total TDs. Late middle rounder in PPR and late round steal in standard. Let's hear that ROAR!