Punting is to devalue one position on your team so you'll have extra cash to spend on other areas. Look for minimum price with moderate to high upside potential. Injuries quickly open up opportunities for others to shine; remember that when choosing your punt play. I have added base lineups into my research below to help you build these type of punt lineups quicker and more efficiently.
Running Back Punt Plays
Theo Riddick (DET) @ IND 20th OPRK ($4,000 DraftKings)
Riddick's 11.3 FPPG last season in DraftKings format might not jump off the screen, but consider most of those points were earned as a reception RB and a backup to Ameer Abdullah. With Abdullah's shoulder injury likely to be fine prior to week 1, this is great news for Riddick DFS owners as that should bring down his ownership share numbers. The Colts rush defense has been porous in the preseason allowing over 120 yards in each of the first three games in comparison to last season where they allowed over 120 rushing yards per game. Due to all that, Riddick should get ample passing and an even amount of running opportunities in the red zone.
- Strong play: Legarrette Blount ($3,700) @ ARI (6th OPRK) - Make no mistake, this is not an easy matchup for the Patriots on the road. But when talent meets opportunity meets price point... Blount is a solid punt play option in week 1. You don't have to buy into Bill Belichick's RB's for a whole year, just a week here or there. Expect a lot of run attempts and check down passes from the Pats offense. Blount should net his owners a solid outing.
- Limit play: Javorius Allen ($3,600) vs. BUF (11th OPRK) - There is a bit of a mess in Baltimore when it comes to the running backs. If you are a high volume DFS lineup player, play the contrarian selection in Allen. UPDATE: Late inactive.
- Base lineup: QB-Aaron Rodgers (GB), WR-Julio Jones (ATL) & Mike Evans (TB), mid value third WR, high end TE
Wide Receiver Punt Plays
Jermaine Kearse (SEA) vs. MIA 16th OPRK ($3,500 DraftKings)
The Seattle Seahawks are running a lot of two wide receiver sets in preseason with Kearse grabbing a bunch of snap counts over Tyler Lockett. Does that mean the trend will continue? No. Does it give more credence to my Kearse stock this season? Absolutely. The Dolphins will be in tough starting the season on the road in arguably the toughest atmosphere. Miami's defensive issues last season bled over into the secondary where they allowed the 12th most passing yards per game (250 yards). The Seahawks are a heavy favorite at home (-10.5), but with a bottom ranked offensive line expect Russell Wilson to be chucking the rock in the second half.
- Strong play: Michael Thomas($4,000) vs. OAK (14th OPRK) -OAK vs. NO matchup over/under line at 51 is the highest for week 1. The Saints passing game led the league last season with over 310 yards per game, and now they've added rookie Thomas to the mix.
- Decent play: Tajae Sharpe ($3,000) vs. MIN (12th OPRK) -Another rookie recommendation; clear starter through preseason even playing ahead of Rishard Matthews. With a spot now opening up for Sharpe plus building chemistry with a young quarterback in Marcus Mariota, life can't get much better for the rookie.
- Base lineup: QB-Aaron Rodgers (GB) or Andrew Luck (IND), RB-Devonta Freeman (ATL) & Lamar Miller (HOU), $6,000 approx. flex and high end TE
Tight End Punt Plays
Jared Cook (GB) @ JAX 26th OPRK ($2,900 DraftKings)
The TE position is a very fluid position throughout the fantasy season, and this year is no different. Cook outplayed his incumbent Richard Rodgers during the preseason which bodes well for him when it comes to extra snaps in the Green Bay offense.
- Strong play: Austin Seferian-Jenkins($2,800) @ ATL (29th OPRK) - Scored 31 FP last year in week 1. Expect Jenkins to see red zone targets in a projected high scoring affair versus the Falcons.
- Decent play: Kyle Rudolph($3,000) @ TEN (25th OPRK)
- Base lineup: QB-Aaron Rodgers(GB), RB- Eddie Lacy(GB) & Danny Woodhead(SD), WR-Julio Jones(ATL)/Amari Cooper (OAK) & Travis Benjamin(SD)
Team Defense Punt Plays
The Seattle Seahawks are listed as the highest cap value defense ($3,900). As a result, the position offers little variance.
Here's some of my favorites for week 1:
- Seahawks (-10.5) vs. Dolphins
- Eagles (-6) vs. Browns
- Texans (-4.5) vs. Bears