There are some places where fantasy football has already begun with mock drafts and actual drafts happening already in May. While it is quite early for that to happen, there are some interesting things going on with the early mock drafts that have been released on various websites. The “experts” have very different views on how things are going to shake out. Here are a few interesting early trends that are developing. Some of them may seem very logical while others could be a bit out there especially in today's NFL with so much parity.
- The No. 1 Spot Is A Toss-Up. It is going to be a three-horse race between Adrian Peterson, LeSean McCoy and Jamaal Charles in most leagues. There have been some drafts that had Peterson at No. 4, which seems illogical. The owners who get the top three picks are all likely to be happy with whoever they get but figuring out a consensus overall pick isn’t going to happen at least this year.
- Jimmy Graham Is Going Real High. The New Orleans Saints tight end has been going as high as No. 6 in some mock drafts. While Graham has some problems with the Saints right now, the New Orleans schedule is one where Graham should get those first-round numbers. If an owner wants Graham, it may mean hoping that they don’t have to pick after eighth overall. The drop-off is massive at the position.
- Eddie Lacy Is Getting Tons Of Love. There is an argument that Lacy could be a top-five pick with a healthy Aaron Rodgers with him in Green Bay. However, there must be a worry about a sophomore slump out there. Lacy is getting taken as early as No. 5 in some drafts in front of players like Calvin Johnson. It just seems too good to be true right now even with a healthy team around him.
- Drew Brees Is Inching Towards Top 20 Pick. A look at what Brees has in front of him this season gives the indication that he could have a Peyton Manning-like year this coming season. There has been talk of Brees being in the first round while others have him still in the third round. The tidal wave of Brees having a huge season is pushing his value way up and if he can put up a 5,200-yard season with 45-50 touchdowns, then it will be all worth it.
- Seattle Seahawks Defense Is Going Earlier Than Expected. It is a fact that the Seahawks defense is great and could turn into an all-time great one but some drafts are putting them as high as the tenth round. If the pick works out right at that point, Seattle needs to be far and away the best defense this season. There are simply too many solid defenses out there to be taking the Seahawks two or three rounds before any other team is taken.
It is early and the mock fantasy football draft shell game will continue to shift but that’s what it is looking like with the first mock drafts in for the season.