With the 2013 NFL season on in the rear view mirror, the time has come to look ahead to the 2014 fantasy football season. There are going to be some picks in the first round that surprise owners to a point with where the player is being drafted. It is very early and that point must be taken in looking at what a first round would look like in a ten-team league. Here is how I see the first round laying out if the draft was today for the 2014 season.
1. Jamaal Charles, RB- The way the 2013 season went for Charles, it is too easy to let him be the top pick. He is someone who could easily top 2,000 all-purpose yards next season in Andy Reid’s offense. He will be especially good in PPR leagues.
2. LeSean McCoy, RB- Many people are going to want to put McCoy over Charles especially with the Philadelphia offense but there is bound to be some regression next season as defenses figure out how to slow the Eagles down. He is a top-two pick no matter what.
3. Adrian Peterson, RB- It is hard to see Peterson down this list at No. 3 but this is the spot for him with a weak Vikings offense around him right now. His totals went down this season after the huge 2012 season. Third is a great spot to place him at this point.
4. Matt Forte, RB- The running back train continues with the Chicago rusher. The Bears appear to be on their way to having big offensive numbers in the next few years and Forte will benefit from that. He is a great pick for someone who doesn’t get one of the top three choices.
5. Marshawn Lynch, RB- Beast mode is truly in effect here for the Super Bowl champion. While there may be a Super Bowl hangover, I still expect to see Lynch’s numbers be good enough where he will be a top-five selection.
6. Peyton Manning, QB- There will be lots of people who think taking a quarterback in the first round is a bad idea. If he returns though, there will be a major chip on his shoulder to make the 2014 season another one for the record books. Pay the price and get Manning early.
7. Doug Martin, RB- Injuries derailed Martin in his sophomore year but with a new head coach in place and a healthy team around him, a big season is coming. He will be worth the first round pick before all is said and done.
8. Calvin Johnson, WR- The first wideout off the board comes here with Megatron. While the end of the Detroit season wasn’t the best with Johnson having a down year, I have to think he will want to get at least 110 catches in 2014.
9. Jimmy Graham, TE- It was a huge season for the big tight end in 2013. He may not be the happiest player in New Orleans when the season begins but he is still so much better than any other player at his position that the first round is warranted.
10. C.J. Spiller, RB- This is a definite wild card especially if he doesn’t get the carries he should be getting with the Bills. There will be a lot to watch when training camp does get started but Spiller is someone who will rebound to be in the first round.