Your Thoughts On Matt Cassel (So Far)

Discussion in 'Kansas City Chiefs' started by warcrychief, Oct 14, 2009.

1. lruddicks

lruddicks kcs redneck

Originally Posted by pctrips
    Not even close Joe. These we know for sure: Croyle has the best arm, Thigpen has the best legs.

Croyle cannot read defenses, has no pocket presence, below average accuracy, and is injury-prone. Total NFL wins = 0

Thigpen has a rag arm, is inaccurate as hell, and he takes off and runs at the first sign of trouble. Total NFL wins = 1

Cassel has a much better arm than Thigpen, is waaaay more accurate than both Thigpen and Croyle. He can get to 2nd and 3rd reads if he has time. Will stand in the pocket and take a hit to make a throw. Is reasonably mobile and can escape pressure if needed. Total NFL wins = 11

The only knocks on Cassel are holding the ball too long (could be due to not getting a normal amount of time to make reads) and operating out of the shotgun most of the time (again could be a refelction of our o-line).

the wins in new england with moss, welker, and a much better def to give him more oppertunities he didnt do much better than thiggy. so in my oppinion cassel is 0-4 in nfl and we need to throw away all our QB's and get new ones but croyle is best we have.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

2. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

Croyle might be able 2 read the field better & throw a better ball. but, Cassel can stay on the field. and thats what we need most with this O-line.

3. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Thanks.

4. warcrychief

once again he didnt kill us.

5. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

I think if our O-line would just offer better protection, we wouldn't have to worry much about Cassel at all....it's amazing he hasn't gotten injured/put out for the season yet....

6. warcrychief

no INTs this week. that a + in my book :icon_cheesygrin:

7. hermhater

hermhater Guest

:icon_lol:

8. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

Actually all his early sacks in New England last year was from bailing out of the protection. Once Belichick beat that out of him, he didn't get sacked much. However, you don't have the line we do, or the receivers, so he's going to take sacks vs interceptions. My opinion, with experience, and some help with personal ( WR & OL) he could be a good QB. Why I say experience is, this is only his second year starting at QB since High School. The tip off on this guy is Josh McDaniels, Belichick, Pioli wanted him. That's a pretty good sign he has the ability to do the job.

9. Three7s

Three7s 1st Stringer

I feel that way too, we just need to build a team around him.

10. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

I think so too....I like Cassel.

11. lruddicks

lruddicks kcs redneck

trade him and haley to raiders for a broke down has been 95 year old cheer leader we would be better off

12. warcrychief

he just needs a O-line. and he'll be fine.

13. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

QFT...that's what I'm thinking. :icon_cool:

14. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, the chiefs need to improve their o-line and they know it but they aren't as bad as many people are making them out to be. cassell takes a lot of sacks because he holds onto the ball longer than the average guy (ala BigBen). It works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. however, to lay all of the blame on their o-line (which is what I'm hearing around k.c. all season) is just wrong. he got sacked last year as much as he's getting sacked this year. is the patriots o-line horrible?

15. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Dude without Albert on the line, they're horrible.

I agree that Cassel holds onto the ball too long, but do you really think our O line isn't atrocious?

16. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

I agree he holds the ball longer than he needs to, but that doesn't mean our o-line isn't that bad. The fact that Cassel faces almost constant pressure is one thing. The other thing is that the line cannot open any holes in the running game. At least it has appeared that way. We'll get a better idea about that this week when Charles gets the majority of the carries. So a QB getting pounded, a non-existant running game, along with too many penalties adds up to an offensive line that is atrocious.

17. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

atrocious would mean that the chiefs o-line is the worst in the league, right? they are clearly not. the packers o-line IS atrocious and clearly the worst. and i would take the chiefs players over bottom tier lines like the Raiders, Lions, and Bills.

But here's my point ................. The Chiefs have some talent on their O-line. They still need to upgrade at RT, but did Brian Waters suddenly forgot how to block? How about Mike Goff? He was one of the anchors of an incredible Chargers line just a few years ago? Did he suddenly forget what he was doing? Branden Albert is one of the better young linemen in this league. I think the jury is still out on Niswanger but he's also done some good things for a younger guy.

Keep in mind, the whole team is only 2 months into running an entirely new offense after Haley changed the system a week before the regular season started.

Combining the injury to Albert, changing the offense 1 week before the season started, a QB that holds the ball too long, and a now-suspended aging running back that wasn't running very hard this season, the Chiefs O-line has appeared worse than it actually is. They are NOT atrocious. They just look atrocious right now due to a variety of factors.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

oh, and you're welcome for this insightful and uplifting analysis of the chiefs o-line situation ............................. i hope i brightened your outlook on the chiefs future.

18. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

Glass half-empty or glass half-full. Being a Chiefs fan it's easy for us to take the pessimistic point of view. I'm getting tired of getting my hopes up only to feel like I get kicked in the balls repeatedly every Sunday. Waters and Albert should keep the left side of the line shored up and hopefully they can get some running lanes opened for Charles and Smith.

19. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Umm, I hope you are right Captain...

20. warcrychief

even with all the lack of talent that Cassel has 2 work with. i still think he is doing a good job with what he has 2 work with.