3-4 D-Linemen

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by K Train, Nov 9, 2009.

1. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

So i have begun my search for casey hamptons replacement because he will almost certainly be a chief or bronco or something next year, also i have some guys i woudnt mind to replace keisel and smith eventually when the ziggy hood experiment fails.

as far as NTs go we have one of my favorite players in the draft in Cody, but the steelers wont have a shot at cody unless teams are really turned off by his conditioning and weight.

One of my other favorites and a high pick sleeper is Baylors Phil Taylor

boo robinson (wake), kendrick ellis (hampton), dan williams (tenn), al woods (lsu)and demarcus granger(OU) are the next tier of NT prospects....theres alot of elite DTs this year and cody has some conditioning issues that concerns teams....however with him being so one dimensional as a mountain of a man run stuffin phenom, he would make the hood pick worth it imo

Phil taylor might even be better than cody, he would have gone before cody if he wasnt expelled from penn state. hes 6-4 355....hes a giant man, same mold as shaun rogers. he was expelled for fighting i think? but i would expect him to shoot up the draft boards after the season if he works out as good as advertised....plus i think hes grown up a little bit and he has shown that throughout the transfer process

phil taylor=kris jenkins, rogers, ngata, ratliff, seymour

in that they are explosive and get penetration

cody=pat williams, sam adams, wilfork, jamal williams, casey hampton

in that they are clogs in the middle but not much of a pass rusher

imo, a pick like taylor or cody would legitimize the evander hood pick....they would make his career less than a complete wash. but a guy like ellis would be nice too, especially with hampton cranking out some good dline lately.....not to mention his 6-4 340 pound body was a high recruit by south carolina at first

i also have a small man crush on miamis allen bailey. hes made of pure steel and is my this years tyson jackson

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

"when the ziggy hood experiment fails."

man, you're going to feel silly if hood turns into a pro bowler ................ personally, i don't question the steelers evaluation of defensive talent because they're so good at it. sure, they're going to whiff on a few but they're right more often than most.

3. K Train

well we should see chapter on of the evander hood project tonight even thogh he hasnt progressed enough to get the start over nick eason. he will be a career interior pass rusher, and effectively never amount to anything as a run stuffing 34 end. im just not to worried about him becoming a pro bowl type player.

steelers have not been that good at evaluating draft talent on defense lately, especially the dline and hes fits the exact mold of someone who doesnt fit into a 34 defense....but everyone knows how i feel about that.

any opinions on NTs this year? lol

4. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

I like Jerrell Powe of Ole Miss, he's only a junior and I think he'll be 24 when he comes out if it's after his senior year. He's not overly big but he's strong and quite explosivee his intelligence is in question but I think it's something ultimately he can overcome. I'd say he's just as good as Cody if not better. If I sat here and talked about all the defensive tackles I liked I'd be sitting here till the break of dawn, there are that many good defensive tackles in this draft clbutt. Now mind you I'm not on top of all the prospects like I have been in years past just for simply the lack of time to focus on all the talent but I think I have a pretty good feel for most of the well known names and a few of the not so well known guys.

I think a guy like Dan Williams is better suited for the 4-3, I'm almost positive that's the type of defense he's going to be playing in the nfl. Couple guys I like are Oghobaase and Boo Robinson then there are others that I don't even really need to mention.

If Phil Taylor is that damn good then Dallas better draft his butt. This is the year that we draft a defensive tackle, or it should be. Cause theres alot of talent to be had.

5. K Train

if the cowboys landed taylor and moved rat back to DE....look out

i would be pissed though hes my guy....which means the steelers are clearly not going to draft him

6. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Anyone know how Woods has played this year. He is a guy I thought had the physical talent to be a day one guy. But as we know, in a 3-4 physical talent only gets you so far

And Roy, unfortunatly I think we are married to the idea of Rat in the middle

7. K Train

i remember when you referred to al woods as your pet cat lol.

idk, i dont think he has played up to his potential at all hes almost completely off the radar

8. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

I've heard a lot of praise on Ndamukong Suh out of Nebraska, but I just haven't had a chance to watch much Nebraska football. I see he's 6' 4" 300#s, which isn't that big. Anyone seen this guy play?

9. K Train

suh is without question the best dlineman in the draft....hes an amazing talent and a sure fire top 5 pick....gerald mccoy is behind him quite a bit imo. however hes pure 43, no way he would ever be looked at in a 34. teams like the bucs, lions, titans, rams, bills, raiders and redskins are salivating over suh though

10. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

The scouts are projecting him at a DE in the 3-4. There's also been talk of him playing Nose Tackle, but he's going to have to put on some weight for that. I'm going to have to see this guy play even though that means watching a Nebraska game.

11. K Train

nebraska does crank out decent 34 prospects....he might be a good fit for end, hes got the size thats for sure. personally i think his talents would go to waste in a 34....could he do it? yes....either way hes an elite dline prospect.

and at nose idk about that, not in the steelers system....teams like the broncos, chiefs and carninals run gimmicky 34s without a true NT so its possibly i guess

i would say he would be ok as a 5 technique 34end, but thats a position that take alot of time to be successful in for most, hes not richard seymour. in a 43 he makes an immediate impact all over the line

12. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

There was talk of him in a 5 technique position also, so I guess he must be pretty talented to be looked at in multi positions. Sounds like he'll go well before either of our teams would have a shot at him.

13. K Train

exactly...he will probably go top 3 when its all said and done. hes so explosive and aggressive. whatever team gets him will move him all over. alot of people say hes neck and neck with mccoy from OU but i dont think its close

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

and jj....woods was a 5 star recruit, and hes a pretty good athlete (read a while back hes a great basketball player and shattered the glass on the backboard in high school once)

he may one day draw comparisons to kentwan balmer (who sucked in college) because he was under used because he didnt quite fit the scheme.

everyone looked at RJF as a first round pick 2 years ago, woods might be just the opposite

14. Jihad Joe

Woods played behind alot of top DL in LSU. Talent wise he should be there, but he might be more of a project. A guy that might take a year or two to contribute

As for DE's I like Vance Oghobasse and Cory Wootoon

15. K Train

im just all about allen bailey. he was recruited by bama hardcore...he doesnt really fit well in miamis defense and just dominates regardless....he will be looked at as a 5 technique exclusively in the pros.

he was a 250 pound linebacker in HS, then blew up to 270 and is now pushing 290 and hs only gotten faster

16. Jihad Joe

Sounds alot like SLH from last year

K-Train......lets pour out a little liquor for our fallen 2009 favorite 3-4 prospect rotting with the Lions

[​IMG]

17. K Train

18. Jihad Joe

If Im comparing Cody to anyone its Big Ted Washington. He isnt gonna be as athetic as the Hampton's, and Wilforks but he is gonna be a big huge fattass that cant be moved and wont stop until he dies

19. K Train

thats actually a brilliant assesment lol....sweet sweet poetry. i want him though, so unfortunately ill have to watch him play his entire career with the dolphins

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

i dont know who i would rather have though....cody or taylor. they really both could step in from day one and dominate

20. Jihad Joe

Whe Ted played for Buffalo he could stop NY on 3rd and inch's even when the Bills were playing the Patriots